1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Small Trailer Guys---Who is towing with 6 Cylinder Trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Boaz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Yeah they can be expensive to fix no doubt. I saved back extra $$ just in case it has issues. They cost $4900 to overhaul the entire 7.3 and the clutch costs about $1500 to replace. So i at least have a worst case senario amount set aside just incase I have a bad day!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. dareo

dareo LawnSite Member

You don't have to worry about spark plugs, distributors, wires, caps, rotors, ignitior chips, coils, ect on a diesel. You only need compression+fuel being injected and runs.

So if the engine is in good shape you really only worry about eventually replacing injectors. On a 7.3 that can be around 2 grand parts. Luckily they don't go out often. I recommend Rotella 5w40 synthetic as it will handle being pumped to the injectors better. The powerstroke injectors are fed high pressure engine oil to fire. So a 7.3 is harder on oil compared to other engines. Nothing to worry about, just IMO its worth buying the synthetic over the regular for about 32 extra bucks an oil change.

If/when you wear out a 7.3 (many have gone 400-500k original engine) and you still want to use the truck, don't spend 5 grand overhauling it. You could get a used cummins 5.9 and the adapter parts for close to that and have the Ford Cummins. All the Cummins goodness without the mediocre dodge.
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Its the cost of pumps, injectors , glowplugs and turbos that kill you. You won't get over 300k from those items.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. SS Lawn Care

SS Lawn Care LawnSite Member

That is the coolest!
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Is that even legal. I've never seen a motorcycle with a tow rating except Harley dressers and Goldwings towing little luggage trailers.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ericg likes this.
  6. SS Lawn Care

SS Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
    Very doubtful that's legal. How would the bike even stay up while loading the walk behind? I say it's cool because of the freak factor involved, would I ever do something like that?.... Absolutely not!
  7. Derwent

Derwent LawnSite Member
    Male, from Australia

I tow an 8x5 open trailer behind a 4 cylinder Toyota Hilux....2.7 litres of raw power!
    Does the job.
    But slow up big hills but 27-28 mpg is fair compensation!
    Looking to trade for a 4 cylinder turbo diesel though.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I towed my 28' fifth wheel with an inline 6.

I've pulled a 35' gooseneck weighing close to 30k with an inline 6.
  9. zeroman

zeroman LawnSite Member
    Male, from Allentown, PA

Welcome to lawn care. I started part time last year and I have a 2000 ford ranger extended cab with a cap and a 5x10 trailer. I have a zero turn on it, push mower. Blower,trimmer in the back and gas. The ford had no problem pulling it. I traded that in for a 2004 Ford F150 and it was a dream pulling then I upgraded my trailer to a 14 open trailer no problem pulling it. I have a 31' camping trailer and it pulls it just fine. I purchased a V6 Dodge Dekota 2003 and lets just say pulling a 14' trailer up any hill the pedal was to the floor and only did 35mph. I am looking at an enclosed trailer and just using my F 150
  10. lumpkinlawncarellc

lumpkinlawncarellc LawnSite Member

Yea I toughed it out with a 4 cylinder ranger for my first season and this year got myself a 2008 f-150 with the 5.4L in it! That ranger couldn't do much more than 2 yards of mulch without getting pretty mad at me. It could handle the lawn care equipment but even that would push it down the road when I would try to come to a stop. Glad to be sporting what I am now, looking towards a 5x10 dump trailer in the future!