Small tree bark damage

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eruuska, Feb 9, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I was at a potential client's home yesterday to put together a bid for maintenance. He's got a number of small ornamental trees. One of them, a small crabapple I believe, has what looks like deer damage to the bark. About 2-3 feet from the ground the bark looks chewed away about halfway around the tree. The tree has not been girdled.

Is there anything I can offer that would help the tree and make me look good? I'd really like to land this client, he's got a really beautiful home and lawn.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Clean up the rough and torn edges the best you can on the wound..put wire around the tree about 4' perimiter and secure it to prevent furthed damage. and leave it alone.
  3. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

It certainly sounds like deer damage and they truly love young crabapple trees. I had the same problem about 6 years ago right after planting 3 crabapples. Get some of that black plastic flexible drainage pipe. It's cheap and readily available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Cut it to a length of from the ground to just below the first branches. Use something like tinsnips to open it up all along one side so that you can get around the trunk. Deer usually leave crabapple alone once the trees have reached 3 or 4 years of age.
  4. bigandy

bigandy LawnSite Member

I would trim any of the loose bark off the tree and then spray it with pruning paint. Im not sure how effective that really is but it will make the tree look better and make the client feel good. I would not use wire or plastic pipe to protect the tree. Drive two or three pieces of rebar close around the tree. Wire will be difficult to keep weeds and grass out of and plastic pipe gives bugs a nice place to live. More than likely the deer werent eating the bark they were rubbing their horns on it, and take it from a deer hunter, they can be hard on little trees, but they wont like rubbing on steel.
  5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

This is the best answer - the black plastic flexible drainage pipe
    You need to cut this and install as stated.
    You may also hang a bar or two of Irish Spring soap from the trees
    that will also deter the deer.

The pruning paint is a no no
    The rebar is not good
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

problem is that the drain pipe and the wire will look worse than the chewing dammage...
    12ga shotgun woth 00 buck will solve the problem.... LOL just messing with the tree huggers....

a motion light, deer repelant, etc, or a good dog, will take care of the problem and not affect the asthetics of the tree.