Small truck choice.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AB Lawn Care, May 27, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

We have decided to buy a truck this year.We want to buy a used small truck.My question is what brand have you found works well for you.It would be pulling a 8 ft trailer with the following.A 36'' walkbehind,push mower,trimmer,blower and 2 gas cans.I am looking for somthing good on gas,not gutless,reliable and that will have enought brake power.What would you get?<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
  2. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

We use a Dodge Dakota pickup. Not small, not full size, mid-sized is what they sell it as. Not very good on gas (9mpg) although it has a 245hp V8. Pulls well, brakes well, but the gas milelage could be better. We pull lots of equipment though (about 2500lbs).<p><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
  3. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

I would try to find a ford ranger. They are real good and gas and the tranny holds up well. <p>LiVe
  4. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

5. Alan

Alan Member

I've had excellent luck with Chevy S-10s. The older design, pre-94 or 95, with 4.3L V6 automatic and 4 wd. They are quite heavy for their size, the frames are way heavier than the imports. I routinely tow 14 ft trailer with Lazer Z, Howard Price hydro walk behind, trimmers, fuel cans, etc.. Have also on occasion had a 30 hp compact tractor behind me, a bit slow on acceleration but otherwise ok. Have two of them right now, an 88 and a 91. Both of them get saddled with 8' Snow-Way plows in the winter as well.
  6. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

When I first started in the business over years ago I had a mazda B2000. Pulled a 10'trailer with 2 walkbehinds. Misc equip. in bed of truck. Worked great for start-up. Miss those days when I could fill-up and go for days without stopping at the pump.The people at the local TEXACO all know me on a first name basis now.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I use and recommend the S10 as well,I have had excellent luck with my old 84 EX-cab 4x4.I use it by choice over my Dodge/Cummins on certain days to pull my 18 ft 10000gvwr trailer.It pulls great up to about 4500 lbs.I also have a 6.5 fisher Minute mount plow and it is a great plow truck for driveways and small lots.I have Repowered it with a stronger engine-but other than that its a tough little truck.If Id had an import I would've broken the frame by now,they are a wanna be truck-they belong in yuppy driveways-not jobsites.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  8. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

try a new s10 blazer
  9. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,<p>if you are gonna run this truck as seriously as it sounds you are, why mess around with a compact. just get a stripped down 1/2 ton with a v-6 and and you will get about the same mileage, same cost (trade in will be much higher) and same value along with a 8 ft bed, which you won't find in anything 'compact'.<p>steveair<br>
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Had decent luck with Chev S-10 2wd with 4.3l auto. pretty good on gas - good power but I was towing a 14' with big tail so it acted like a parachute on the highway. In the city it was great- I spent more money on gas for mowing than in the truck. <br>But I love my 98 silverado - I'll never go back.