Small Truck for mowing MPG?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LushGreenLawn, May 3, 2011.

1. steel05

steel05 LawnSite Member
    from Ne Ohio

This guy was claiming his brother is getting 20 mpg while towing his 21 foot boat with his 2500 hd!

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I'm wondering if the extra strain on the engine would offset the fuel benefit. FYI right now I have a full size truck, that gets 15mpg with a v6 in it, pulling a trailer takes it down to 9. I'm not sure another full size truck is going to do the trick, even if its a 2wd.

I don't need to use the bed at all, it strictly pulls a mowing trailer. I don't need versatility.

3. LushGreenLawn

A 2500HD doesn't get that kind of mileage on its best day not pulling anything.

4. LushGreenLawn

Thats exactly the info I needed. Mabye there is something to this tacoma thing. I've been getting an average of 9mpg. a 5mpg bump would be worth buying a truck at $3-4 a gallon with the miles my guys put on it.

Do you check MPG regularly?

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 4.3 silverado long bed, regular cab, auto that averaged 12-14 towing a single axle 6x12 with 3000lbs of mowing equipment. In a S10 it might get a tad bit more but wouldn't be worth it with the smaller tires/rear end brakes etc... You would spend more maintaining a compact truck vs a smaller engine full size that it would just eat away any money saved in fuel. I bought a I4 dakota 5 speed that I plan on using for just mowing I waiting to put a clutch in it and see what it does for MPG over the 4.6 3v 6 speed f150 I have now.

6. steel05

steel05 LawnSite Member
    from Ne Ohio

Lush green... I know My hd gets about 9.5 mpg. I told the guy he was crazy. He swore up and down. As for the tacoma I check it about once every week. I'm kinda anal about it. I just feel they great trucks. They handle nice, smooth drive, and the resale value is the best in it's class. I had a 2000 put 180000 miles on it Traded it in they gave me 4000.00 for it the only thing I had to do it was replace the center bearing. They run forever.

7. LushGreenLawn

Wow, mabye its something with my truck? I've got the same truck, same engine getting 8-9mpg towing about the same equipment.

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

The way 66 chevy implala got much better gas mileage with the 283 v8 then the 250 v6. Same GM putting v6 in their full size rwd buick lesabres. Underpowered and the engines did not stand up due to being over worked.

Never buy a full size pick up with a v6. For 3000 lbs to cause mpg to drop that much just shows how under powered a v6 is for the job.

I have a 2001 yukonxl 3.42, 5.3, pulling a loaded pop up and the back of the truck loaded as well I get 20.7 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. The engine does not even feel the load.

Now my brother has just bought a new chevy reg cab 1500, 8' bed, 3.42, with the new small v8 295. He bought close to a basic truck for $26,000. I say save your money until you can afford one.

The 5.3 come with cylinder cutoff and 6 speed auto. What you will save in fuel will also make the purchase less expensive.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

My smaller trucks do go through breaks much more frequently then the bigger 3500s I use to stand by the fuel efficient model but found I am better off getting a truck that meets all my needs In a diesel. Now the efi motors on the new lazers that's a different story.

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

If your truck is going thru brakes your towing too much weight. A midsize truck will work fine for route work as long as your not trying to pull three or four mowers with it. It really comes down to weight don't over do it and you'll be fine.