small truck setup's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XLS, Dec 6, 2009.

1. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

i am wondering if anyone on here is using small rigs as their primary setup
    truck's like
    a small box on a standard 1 ton
    a box built in the stake pockets serving as a cheap box truck
    and units in open it the backs of pick ups .

we personally haul some walker mowers in rangers
    walkers in fullsize trucks
    and are considering walkbehinds in small box trucks or open as well

i would love to see any pics you guys have no bashing is needed
  2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I sometimes run a ZTR and 21" mower out of a pickup, but it's a HD long bed truck. I would assume a Walker in a Ranger would be fairly overloaded, and that is unsafe and might even give you problems with the insurance company if something happens. It would certainly be a liability issue.

With a driver, tools, gas, blower, trimmer, mower, etc you might be over the GVWR its rated for. I certainly wouldn't feel that safe with that kind of weight on a narrow stance with springs not designed for it.

For midsize wb's that fit between the wheel wells it might be fine. But they're 400 lbs lighter. It's not routine driving you have to worry about, it's what happens to a top heavy load when you have to make an emergency maneuver.

You might also repost that question so it's more understandable. Some of the words don't go together.
  3. Alpha Property

Alpha Property LawnSite Senior Member

i can get my stander and a 21 in the back of my short box and still close the tailgate :)
  4. XLS

bruce quote me and show me what you mean "dont go togather."

the walkers dont overload them at all , especially no more then a 14' trailer behind the truck and it does this fine as well you guys got pics of them to show?
  5. XLS

and also what is this top heavy load ????? in my post.
  6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

XLS, please do not try to build a "cheap" type box truck by using the stake pockets and plywood! There is a guy around here that did this and his truck looks ridiculous!! Plus the weight of all that would probably max out the truck bed? You could do it right by using steel and sheet metal , it would look more professional then.
  7. XLS

lol i am not really looking to do that lol i really want to see the setup overall . we do that with our leaf cleanups a leaf box ,so i just ask if anyone had pics of it lol.

i see it being an easy change over if they had a ramp lol

i want to see small area mowing crew rigs.
  8. XLS

i am struggling to get equipment to fit effectively into a small package and was just wanting to see pics of how others did it .
  9. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

somewher I saw a guy using a toyota {ex uhaul truck } this looked like a good set up if you could find a truck like that.
  10. XLS

packy not looking for a truck itself , looking for how they have the equipment mounted in it effecently . i want a very effecient truck and things feel cluttered in our test truck .
    thanks i am looking for rif pics on this scale.