Small truck / trailer setups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimsLocalLawn, May 11, 2013.

1. balms

balms LawnSite Member

I, too, am a solo operator and try to keep things to a minimum. Check your owners manual, I am sure that your current trailer, loaded as in the pic is no where near the trucks towing capacity. You might consider a larger trailer at first before jumping into a larger truck. I use a Honda Element as a tow vehicle and it tows my 60" Lazer on a 6x8 trailer with no problems. Your truck surely has more towing capability than my E. You will still have the benefits of better fuel mileage and you can sell your current trailer to help off set the cost of a larger one.

I like your fuel boxes, I am going to borrow that idea for my trailer.

Good Luck.

2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Boy that's a good example of professional lawn care right there.

3. bln

bln LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a 1995 Dodge Dakota with a V6. I used it to tow a 7X16 Tandem axle with 2 60" Ztrs and a 48" walk behind with no problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Man she'll lay down stripes like you won't believe! haha

5. johnjw77

johnjw77 LawnSite Member

Nice setup OP!!

I'm just starting up this year. I currently run a 98 ranger 3.0 with a 5x8 trailer loaded with a MTD pro 36" and a 21" and my blower and trimmer in the bed of the truck.

I also like your gas/blower holder ideas and will be borrowing them as well (I have the exact same blower). I will try to get a picture of my setup tomorrow as I have my first job in the afternoon.

I am currently looking for a white tacoma so I can add vinyls.

6. johnjw77

johnjw77 LawnSite Member

JimsLocalLawn: are you running a mulching setup on your 36 or do you just run without the chute??

My damn chute seems to get caught on everything, takes up alot of room on the trailer and leaves horrible buildup lines of cut grass in the yard. I'm debating removing it or using a bungee to hold it up out of the way, just curious what you do?

7. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I took my side discharge shoot off.

8. DoubleClutch

DoubleClutch LawnSite Member

Here's my rig. 07 Exploder with a v8, 12ft drop gate trailer, cub ztr 50 echo stick trimmer, echo pb214 back pack blower, craftsmen 22" push. I do average 1 acre or less and no fenced in yards and seems to be working great for me. I only do about 5 to 6 clients on Monday and 6 on Tuesday sense I have another business in motorcycle and Atv repair I have open on Wed threw Sat so I keep busy all week. The Lawn Care is growing fast and may need to get my son involved to service them while I am in the shop.

321334_593123917373323_1680257183_n.jpg

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

6 1/2 X 12 with 1 34Z, 1 36" WB and one 60" ZTR. Snug as a bug in a rug. A couple days a week we dont need any of the small mowers so we take the old 48" lazer and 60". They also fit nice and snug with about 2" to spare at the back.

[​IMG]

10. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the small rig my son and I use with a 36 walk behind and 52 zero turn on a 5.5 x 10 trailer:

[​IMG]