Small Trucks for Lawn Servicing

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by genesis215, Jun 12, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been seeing alot of people here in my city using small pickups like Chevy S10's, Ford Rangers, Nissans and Toyotas for their commercial lawn service work. They looked like they pulled just fine. One guy was pulling a fully loaded 13' single axle trailer w. a 4-cylinder Nissan 5-speed, and was able to go quite fast. I would only consider a manual transmission because I don't like the way automatics go into high rpm's all the time when towing. I don't drive hard, and only ease gently on the accelerator, so I would think there would not be a drastic fuel mileage decrease. Has anyone else done this? What fuel mileage have you gotten? Would it be fine to do if I had trailer brakes? Maybe there is a way to put larger brakes on? I pulled my 5x13 trailer home with a '94 Pontiac Trans Sport w. the 3800 V6, and it did just fine, and I had no trouble stopping.

2. jason9696

jason9696 LawnSite Member

After towing my trailer with a 2004 Nissan Xterra w/ a 3.0 6 cyl Auto, then moving up to a 2008 Toyota Tundra w/ a 4.7L V8 I can tell you that you should always use equipment that is designed for what you are using it for. A 4 cyl Ranger will be working so hard to pull your trailer that there probably won't be any gas savings over a V8, and if you are over your towing capacity you could be at risk of getting in some serious legal trouble if you are ever in an accident.

3. me.

me. LawnSite Member

my dad would not let me get the 3L ranger because it can/will not tow anything basically. (designed with like 150hp)...got the 4L V6 ranger, and it works GREAT for what i do, 50' zero turn, 33" walk, with 230 hp with a new exhaust i am pulling great (standard tanny and gets about 21 mpg after pulling all that)

the smaller 4-cyl may be able to go "fast" but in how long...it may take minutes to get up to 60 mph and you may not have the low end torque or enough of it to get off the line well with a 4-cyl

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i saw an older S10, towing a fairly heavy trailer, looked about 12' long, with wood sides, hauling a JD 48" walk behind, and a rider up front. the truck was sagging bad. i had a trailer of about the same weight, we were both going up a steep hill, i thought his truck was going to either stall or fall apart. i passed him at about 1/3 throttle, with the truck sitting completely level, it was kinda sad, as he was doing all he could to keep moving.

if you are going to tow daily, you need a truck that is up to the task.

5. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

Okay. I already have a '94 fullsize Ford 1/2-ton van, 351 Windsor V8, and am very happy with it. I don't even feel my trailer at all with it. It cruises 65 mph down the interstate as if it wasn't there. I was getting 17 mpg with it.