1. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

This topic was brought up in another thread, and I thiught I would add a new thread here. <br>When looking at a new compact truck , most plow and truck manufacturers no longer offer plows as options on them. the two exceptions are as far as I know. The Dodge Dakota and Toyota Tacoma. Dont ask me why, the Tacoma has smaller front pieces then my 99 Ranger yet you buy a plow for it. Just thought I would pass it on.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I keep going thinking about a small truck to. I don't really like the idea of buying a brand new fisher minute mount for a truck, and then having to make it fit. Only if thats the way i go it might be my only way. If i don't lease a skid steer for the condos, then i am going to use a small truck. My setup an american made truck with 6'9&quot; fisher minute mount, and 6' pull plow. A friend gave me an old 6.5' fisher blade the older one is buit a lot stronger. So when the blade craps out on the 6'9 i put the 6.5 blade on.<p>Geoff

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

Their is no plow option for newer Dakota's, as a matter of fact the dealer has said they would void the warranty if I put a plow on one. Does anyone here own or no of anyone with a newer Dakota with a plow, is so any info would be appreciated.
  4. mlc

mlc LawnSite Member

I'm glad that this subject came up again. A few days ago I posted a thread seeking truck advise concerning plowing with Toyota's or Nissan's or any compact truck for that matter. From the replies, it looks as though not to many folks use compact trucks to plow with. When I drive around I don't see any set up either. I've always had great luck with Toyota trucks for summer lawn care use. Cheap to operate and durable. For all of you folks who have a fleet of plow vehicles, is there one particuliar size or truck that you think is the most versatile? Kinda equivalent to the flexability of midsize walkbehind in the summer months. Maybe not always the fastest, but able to use the machine on almost every property. Sorry that I don't have any particuliar answers regarding small truck setup-I was looking for the same answers myself. <p>----------<br>Steven Ouellette<br>
  5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am not in the landscaping business, i am in Utility Construction. We use all 3/4 ton or larger trucks, the ranger i am thinking about might be for plowing/ runner truck. I have found that most guys, don't like being cramed into a little ranger at the end of the day. When i sit in one myself, my head hits the roof, only i am 6'4. Anyways if you want to plow my advice would be to start with say a 3/4 ton and work towards having a smaller truck down the road. If you plow with a small truck your maintmance cost will be more, i know that would be the case with a ranger and thats why i am still thinking about them. If you plow with a 3/4 ton your maintmance cost won't be as much or as often, but you will pay more up front.<p>Geoff
  6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

We always used full-size short-box trucks, 115&quot; wb. They were 1/2 tons, of course. They stoppped warranties on 1/2 tons in 1996 as far as I know. I still use my 1993 Dodge (last of the good ones) for my personal truck. I don't like the manueverability of the long boxes or xtended-cab units. We've got newer 3/4 tons and 1 tons, but they don't do my route well.
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I know of two municipalities with brand new Rangers and s-10s with western plows which are used to plow the sidewalks.<p>Bill

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i have used s-10 blazer in the past w/ a two meter plow on it which also had wings this would be the best truck for small fast food accounts because of the maneuveribility but when the snow gets heavy it did not have enough weight to push correctly plenty of engine with a 4.3 but not enough weight <br> most ideal plow truck all around would be short bed chevy,350,7.5 with wings not really too big for smaller lots and not really big enough for large lots but would work well in all situations.<br>doug
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My backup/driveway truck is an 84 S10 4x4 ex cab shortbox.It has a 6.5 fisher MMount plow and it does such a good job that I have been using it for every storm this year.I swear that this thing will out push my GMC 2500 with a v-box in it and a 7.5 MM on it.I have pushed deep snow and drifts with the S10 that the gmc got stuck in.This is with v-box empty .In driveways the S10 gets in and out faster and it tears less up when you go to far with a push,and those sidewalks are it's specialty.I notice its limitations mostly in large open lots with long pushes.It just takes longer because to keep from spilling you have to nip at the berm very slowly or do it all over again.I've had no ill effects on the truck from the hard use 'til this week-I have the transmission on my bench waiting for a low/reverse drum that it ballooned.I think it's a rare case because the same trans is in my 3/4 ton gmc -700r4 with v-box and 140k with no problems.One nice thing with S10 is it uses 1/2 fuel that a big truck will.I love this little truck and now I depend on it so I'm thinking of a newer one if this one dies or becomes unreliable in the future.This is first repair of any kind in 3 years of hard plowing(except battery). John DiMartino<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I do all residentual, with a 2500 Chevy.I feel like a bull in a china shop. All the guys that I have spoke with recemend a Jeep,C-J or Wrangler, with 6.5 plow. It's funny how all the new small trucks are advertized as being rugged enough for off road PLAY but not good enough for working, (plowing.)