1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

small vs larger accounts..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Mar 4, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i read alot of critism on smaller accounts. (nothing to do with the other thread on here dvm,. that was nothing).
    i am one of the very few on here with an urban business where the accounts are considerably smaller then the rest of you guys, as well as some of my pricing.
    like the article in turf, got me going the other day. i can understand the appearance of "(50) $30 vs. (100) $15) accounts. i don't have aproblem with that if it works for you.. believe i see a big differnce in the markets.
    but i line up several $15 - 25 accounts . here you eventually wind up taking over neighborhoods, and spend a large portion of your day with little to no driving and knock out alot of houses. it comes to a really nice figure per hour. (granted my booking has to be refined, but it is obvious).
    pros of this method, or type of market:
    you can litterally loose 20 customers a year and not bat an eyelash
    loose 20 the other market and your are in trouble.

100 customers at "x" amount for the lawn... then remember all the extras.. 100 trimming jobs, 100 fertilizer applications, 100 oppurtunities for landscape installs, 100 times your lettered truck is sitting as advertising giving you exposure. 100 times someone can spread word of mouth about you.(maybe not 100% of the customers, but you get the idea).
    point being overall, just can't always look at the lawn end of it, (unless you're a mow only guy, buy most on here claim not to be). there is alot of money to made off each account on top of lawn mowing.. and each account you have large or small is a potential big $$$ install or job.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Better profit % in smaller lawns Adam...as prop size increase, $ rates per acre decrease. Period
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think companies that are diversified will do the best.
  4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with this philosophy.

But, if you have to choose one or the other I stick with smaller lawns.
  5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

As a solo operator, I totally agree. I make a lot more on my smaller lawns per hour. Even the ones that aren't next to each other.
  6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

small lawns rule. go mets
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my favorite type of lawns are between 5,000 to 8,000 sq ft
  8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you 95% Adam. When I tried to make it work last year, I made a big mistake, I tried to operate in an area that was not a very good choice for the business plan I envisioned . What I wanted was a lot of properties in a small area.. I tried to make it work in an area where those kind of developments are not prevalent. Then I kicked myself for spending my self $10k into debt on equipment.

If I had spent some of that bread moving 60 miles up hwy 288, to a much more densely populated area, I probly would have made it.

But on my way to deliver my surfer to the folks that bought it in Rockford Il., I realised that SOME markets actually have huge lawns, and are profitable ( different demographics, by a mile)..

I guess it really depends on where you live. But in my educated opinion, the smaller lots/ more of them, will be more profitable every time...
  9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, small lawns must rule. Mine are all larger lawns with a few small ones. I would love to have all small lawns. Larger frofit margine. I can charge 20 bucks for a 15 min job but cant do that with a large lawn that takes over an hr.
  10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I actually prefer the medium size lawns like 5000-8000 sq.feet they seem to be the best for us...Not real big so when you have to bag it doesn't take forever,but we do have a lot of 3000 sq.foot lawns as well that you can get in and out quick.