small water feature ideas

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Surferbum21, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

I have about a 4.5' x 4.5' area (give or take I can make bigger or smaller) that I want to install a small water feature. I went by a local pond store and they showed me a "mini pond unit" that retailed for $900. This is for my house but as small as it is I am not willing to pay $900 (plus rocks & my labor) to put this small of a feature in. Can I pick some stuff up at Lowe's and do as good of a job? It is for my house but we won't be here more than 4 or 5 more years. I just wanted to practice and add a nice feature for the time being. But if its going to be that much I will just fill in with flagstone. Thanks for any ideas and advice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

oh and i've since changed some of the landscaping so just focus on the water feature...first round kinda sucked

3. LPS Pools

LPS Pools LawnSite Member

For a space that small I would do just a single bubbling boulder or possibly a leaning pot that spills over. You could do either for under 1K if your doing it yourself. The small bubbler at the end of this pond is something that might work. Maybe something a little larger for that spot. I have this two stone one outside my front porch in a 5'X7" spot. But it would probably run you over budget. Good luck!

100_0284.JPG

100_0335.jpg

4. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

i like the bubbling rocks. how much and where do i pick up the materials? I know I can pick out any big rock I think will look good and have it drilled but what supplies to get it looking like that

5. LPS Pools

LPS Pools LawnSite Member

You basically need a reservoir which various places online carry.

This is basically a plastic box with a grate over it. Or you can use a liner with a well, but the reservoir will probably be the easiest for ya. A pump, something that moves around 1200-1500 gph will be ideal for a small rock. It really depends on how big a rock and how much flow you want. Again this can be bought online or a pond store, or at home cheapo. Dig your hole to match the reservoir, cut a corner of the grate for pump access.

Support the grating with cinder blocks. Drill your rock, set on top of your grate then attach plumbing, use a ball valve for flow regulation. Cover the grate with stone of your choice, and walla!

6. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

Thanks. That will work perfect. I'll post pics of it when I'm done but it may be a January/February project as Christmas lights and leaves are starting up

7. ANC Stone Creations

ANC Stone Creations LawnSite Member

Check out our new website at www.ancstonecreations.webs.com for some ideas of small water features.

A dished bird bath pondless water feature would work awesome.
    Or a single Rock Column about 2' tall would also work good in a pondless application in that small area!

Pondless water features are very low maintenance!
    They are also easy to install in just a few hours!

8. scooterbug311

scooterbug311 LawnSite Member

what is your budget?

9. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

well i was thinking with how small the area is under $800-900. some of the stuff I've looked at puts me way over that with just the pump and setup. I'd rather just finish the flagstone out for that or buy a cheapie from home depot. this is my first house and is really a starter house that we are only planning on living in for 5-6 years. 2 years down.

10. Surferbum21

from SW OKC

Would I be able to pick up all the things I need to creat a pondless waterfall at Lowe's or Home Depot? And what exactly would I need? Or would it be better to buy something like this

http://pondcart.com/pw/agora.cgi?p_id=30770