Small ztr? Gravely or Encore

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Feb 27, 2005.

?

Gravely or Encore Z-34

1. Gravely

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. Encore

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have narrowed it down to getting the encore or gravely z-34. This mower will be used for backyards only. Has anyone had experince with either of these mowers? Is one better than the other for any reason?

2. lawnman_scott

No one has one?

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I personally don't have any experience with either machine, but a local dealer had the Encore 34z last year, and he was less than impressed by it's capability to handle a slight incline, and other quality issues. So much so, he sent it back to them...I know several guys who have the Gravely 34z and are quite happy with them. I just think with the shorter and narrower frame will limit any intermediate slope mowing. If it fits your needs, that's all that matters. Have you had a hands on demo with either machine yet?

4. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

I have the gravely 34z. I love being able to do yards easier than the other guy because not to many people around here have one. I am going to take it this week and have some anti-scalp rollers put on as they do not come with them and it is an issue when cutting below 2.5". :waving:

5. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

Neither...

I'm staying with my full size equipment and passing on the jobs that would need the smaller mowers. (In my area I can do almost anything with my Lazers and backup walk behinds)

I'm not impressed by these smaller Z's at all....to each his own

6. lawnman_scott

Thanks for the wonderful advise about which is better.

7. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

My advice would be to stay clear...get it??

But again...to each his own

And...you're welcome!

8. lawnman_scott

because???????

9. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the Encore 34Z. While it is very handy when it comes to small gated yards (which is the only reason I bought it, I have 3 complaints about it.

1. It's usless on a hill or incline because it IS narrow. (It's selling point)
    2. When using the side bagger, which is all thats available, the weight of the bagger as it fills, causes the deck to cut eneven.
    3. The blades are different lenghts. One is 20 1/4, and the other is 14 1/8. The longer blade wears out 3 times as fast as the shorter one. I end up using a used short blade with a new long one, which I really don't like doing.

10. KurtW

KurtW LawnSite Member

I started business with a scag 48" five months ago. I quickly found I needed a gate mower. I hate anything that I have to walk behind. I bought a Gravely 34" Z and now I blow through those gates. I use mulch kits with mulch blades on both and I don't think you can do the yards any faster. Yes, he is right, you can't use it on slopes. If used for the purpose it was built, it is a great mower. I'm not sorry I purchased it. Just my 2 cents. Kurt