small ztr

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by nmurph, May 31, 2005.

1. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

ok, here we go again. homeowner with 1/3 ac lawan with lots of landscaping. i maybe trading up to a larger lawn in the next couple of yrs. i am looking for a ztr for about 3k. i have narrowed my search to a Hustler Fastrak 42" for $3100. i have looked at Snapper, Dixon (dad has one, 16,42 for 2+ac, a little undersized, but a great mower), Ariens 17/42 seemed cheaply built, imo) Exmark (too much $$$, but well built) ditto for Country Clipper, Dixie Copper...Yazoo (father in law has one 23,60)..looked at Cub and Husq at local "big box" retailer.....here are the questions.... is this a good deal.....experience with mulching and bagging.....how reliable.....i noticed in the literature it seems to indicate that the 42" will only trim to about 5.25" from an object, whereas the 36" will trim to .5"............. any help or info will be appreciated.

2. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

Will trim to that distance? Or does it mean that is how much the trim side of the deck overhangs?

3. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It came down to the Hustler Fastrak and Ariens 1740 for me and I went with the Ariens. Their frames are the same thickness and were of the same quality IMO. IIRC, the Ariens beat the Hustler with blade tip speed, hydros, and price as well. I've had the Ariens for a month now and have been very satisfied up to this point.

4. nmurph

from ga

found out this is the offset of the left edge of the deck to the outside of the rear wheel.

5. aj100

aj100 LawnSite Member
    from Il

Hi I demoed the ariens also was impressed. the problem or question I have is when you have the deck engaged does the vibration get to you. I demoed one and as soon as the deck engaged the vibration was bad enough that my feet was tingling for 3-4 minutes afterwards. liked the machine except for the vibration and the brigs motor was noisy. I asked the mechanic and the owner about the vibration both said the blades maybe out of balance. but didnt seem to want to do anything about it, so Im at a quandry with this one and was looking for an owners feedback. oh I also liked the pumps and motors and the spring suspension being moved back to the back of the machine rode good and seemed to cut wet grass good with a small amount of clumping that I probably could have prevented by raising the diverter, also it was fast but kinda touchy either to short suspension or controls not set right, neat machine though.

thanks
    aj

6. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

I have a Hustler 36" Fastrak with the Kohler motor and wished I would have opted for the 42" for the better trimming. I like the Hustler, it cuts good and fast. The only problem I have is the metal discharge chute..it does not just flip out of the way if you hit an immovable object other than that it is a very well built machine.

7. jceh1

jceh1 LawnSite Member

I have a hustler mini-fastrak with the 42 inch deck. It overhangs the machine about 5 inches, which lets you trim to the edge of planting beds, driveway, etc. without having to come right up to the edge with the tractor wheels. I also opted for the honda engine as it is a 2 cylinder and was recommended by many, but I have heard the Kohlers were also very good. I have had it for only about a month. It is very well made, and if you check out the hustler section on this website, you will notice that the customer support from the company is quite impressive. I looked at a lot of machines and did alot of research before buying this, and I am very satisfied. My wife wanted me to get a regular tractor because she wanted a steering wheel and was afraid of the steering levers, but once we got it, my wife took to the machine right away and looks forward to cutting the lawn every weekend. I have only gotten to use it for about ten minutes so far. I understand that the hydros are not commercial grade, and I would have liked the hydros in the regular fastrak, since they are commercial grade, but these are rated for 800 hours, which should be OK for many years, as I am only cutting about an acre. My lawn has never looked this good!

8. nmurph

from ga

i bought a minifasttrak 17/42. it will trim to w/in an inch or so of the deck edge and has 5 inches of offset from the rear wheel. it cuts like a banshee and leaves very little in the way of trimmings. i have the standard blades and am not mulching. my yard is very thick centipede.
    the machine is VERY solid. it really feels commercial. to be knit-picky, the machine is a little small if you are more than 6'2" or so. not uncomfortable, and there are extensions available for the steering handles. i also wish an hour meter were standard, but they are available from the factory for about $30. i opted for the Kohler motor. it vibrates a little at idle, but is very smooth at cutting rpm and is an absolute hog through the grass. i also agree that the factory support is first rate. i have emailed the factory rep and have received immediate responses each time. if you are in the market for a smaller ztr, look no further.