small ztrs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, i'm thinking about selling my 36" wb and buying a small ztr to do my gated back yards. i have about 6 houses with gates and i hate useing a wb. so i was thinking i could get like a 36" ztr. are the smaller ztrs more productive then walkbehinds? also what brands make the smaller ztrs? thanks
  2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly dude, I was thinking about this but the extra cost just doesn't make sense. A decent WB is like $3-4k but you're looking at $5k+ easily for the 36 Z.
  3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I payed $3500 for my 34Z in 2004. The price went way up on them the next year. It was brand new, but it had been outside the entire year so it had some rusty parts.

At this price I could not justify paying any more to get a hydro walk. The small ZTR's are way more productive on flat ground. They don't even compare to a walk IMO.
  4. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

ive heard that phazers are good, but i think they are discontinuing them for some odd reason, and parts wont be available!!!

some small ztr's that you could demo, look into are:

Toro Z334 - 19 hp Kawasaki® KAI w/34" 7-gauge deck fits through 36" gates.

Phazer- 19 hp Kawasaki® V-Twin w/34" Trivantage Deck

Wright Stander- 32" or 36" ( i dont know engine/deck combinations.

Hustler Mini Z- Kawasaki Kai 17 hp Engine w/36" XR7 Deck

Dixie Chopper- Kohler 18hp w/ 34" Deck

Scag Z Cat- 36" Advantage Cutter Deck, 16hp Honda air-cooled engine

36" Advantage Cutter Deck, 17hp Kawasaki KAI air-cooled engine

36" Advantage Cutter Deck, 19hp Kawasaki KAI air-cooled engine
  5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

now what if i wanted to use it on larger properties also, cause now i'll have my helper cut the fronts with the walkbehind and i'll cut the backs with the big z, now if i were to get a little z he could get the fronts done faster and on the bigger lawns we might be able to cut down our times, i'll have to get a demo unit and try it. thanks for the thoughts keep them coming.
  6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

We use a smaller 34" Gravely ZTR on approx 120 gated yards per week, the machine is a real time saver and is the perfect mower for gated properties.
  7. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Husky IZ 4217 in August. My antique Toro WB has been in the shop so long I can't give you a productivity comparison. I think I spend more time trimming but that may be due to me not knowing what the H I'm doing on the Z.

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

i just picked up a used encore 34" ztr and so far i really like the machine. it goes through all the gates saves time over my 36" exmark and im impressed with the cut. it definitely takes some getting used to because there is no overhang on the deck. but i got used to it real quick.