1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Smaller landscaping project

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BLC1, Mar 23, 2010.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have been doing a couple projects about this size each year. I am working on a design now for a customer and always seem to run into the same creativity block. I end up wanting to put similar plants in all the different projects.

I'm looking for someone who has creative designs and would be willing to help me look at these differently. I have a couple design programs but haven't taken the time to learn them yet so I just use good ole graph paper.

I will post some pictures of the current landscaping that I am taking out and replacing.

Any help would be appreciated. Someone who wouldn't mind going back and forth for a little while letting me pick your brain would be perfect.

GS Terra Front before 1.jpg

GS Terra front before 2.jpg

GS Terra front before 3.jpg

GS Terra front before 4.jpg
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I love that giant rock. It needs to be moved and stood on end to give it some height. I can't even begin to think of how expensive a rock that size would be in our location.

I can help some. My Design program is on the fritz, but I'm hoping to have that corrected by the weekend.
  3. BLC1

from Ohio

Where do you usually start? I'm looking for tips on a step by step approach to maybe shake up some creativity on my part.
  4. BLC1

from Ohio

Where are all the creative minds at
  5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Start by getting rid of the rediculous wall around Plymouth Rock! Then you can try to naturalize the area around the rock instead of making it look like a sacrificial altar. What were these people thinking?
  6. BLC1

from Ohio

They like the little wall. They were actually pretty proud of it. I don't think its going anywhere.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

8. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

what he said. bad idea to mix man made rocks and natural rock.
  9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Clearly, these people have no aesthetic taste whatsoever, so you should not waste too much time trying to come up with good design. I do not often say that, but it is what it is.
  10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with AGLA. That wall takes away from that great rock and not sure if it's placement and elevation can't be improved. If they are not hiring you to redesign this public space, just give them what they want. To create good design, you need lots of input from your client and the freedom to at least suggest, sustainable and aesthetically pleasing alternatives.

I get paid well for my work, as I'm sure you do, unless you are willing to barter services, designing it for you would be unethical, but I'll condense the design process, in my world, for you.

First; address the soil and drainage issues and test as needed and perform a detailed site analysis, get a copy of the site plan, but verifiy the scale accuracy.
    Second; Find out what they want, not specifics unless something is a "must have", but a general idea. What will the space be used for, who will use or enjoy the space, do they have a theme or a look they aspire to. Perform a complete client interview.
    Third; Take lots of digital photos to use during the design process, unless you design onsite or like to make frequent site visits. Proceed in a determined pattern when you photograph, so that you may follow your path logically. Left to right from afar, close up, however you choose, but do it the same every time.
    Forth; Take all your site information and client input and put your ideas together starting with drainage work, soil remediation, structures and hardscapes, water features, yard art including natural elements and move your way down the plant ladder, trees, shrubs, perennials and seasonal interest. With your plants, look at multi seasons of interest and your specimens to put during a constantly changing display.
    Fifth; Present your design with an elaborate display of hand drawn plan and elevations, computer imaging and cad plans, hand drawn on graph paper with sample plants or with a can of spray paint, it only matters to the type and size of a project and the customers needs. Anyway you can get your better ideas across to them is the best way.

WG, that boulder would be big bucks in my neighborhood as well. Nothing bigger than a potato in the ground around here, unless it's a chunk of concrete, asphalt or some block from a foundation. It's gotta come by truck and that cost some good money today.