Smaller Lawns - ZTR vs Stander?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by vabch22, Jul 15, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

A standers sweet spot is around a 1/4 acre. I was more efficient on a stander in that range. At about 1/2 acre a ZTR will start becoming more efficient quickly. I timed all my properties with each machine.

2. vabch22

vabch22 LawnSite Member
    from VA

baitdragger - Yea, that is one thing I was also considering... storage. A stander of course would fit much better in my 10 x 10 shed instead of a smaller ZTR. Plus since it is a smaller footprint, I figured it would be more nimble on smaller lots. But since you are standing, being up higher may be an issue with some of the trees. I guess most just bob and weave out of the way of the branches. :) Another item is the weight of the machine and the stance. I guess standers do not have the rutting issues of smaller ZTR's? Or perhaps people only have issues with tire tracks when cutting wet lawns?

GMLC - That is great info, thank you. I've been trying to figure out what the 'sweet spot' is for each type of machine. And also of course, being the most productive I can be to save on trimming, gas, etc.

I'm going to swing by the dealer again today and see what they have on the floor.

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Any mower can rut depending on conditions...even 21s. In the realm of 36" mowers is where more issues take place since they get heavy real fast when compared to a walk behind. Yes, a stander is generally lighter than a ZTR, but not by much in the smaller sizes. Then, don't forget to add the operator's weight to the total.

Looking at overall weight as a function of stock tire size will give one an idea of how rut-prone a particular mower might be depending on soil conditions on a given day.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

When you pick yourself up off the floor from stander sticker shock. Check out Gravely entry line ZTR. For 2300 its a really solid machine. You would have to seriously abuse it to wear it out on 3 lawns. I'm looking to replace my 3 gate mower with them. I can buy all 3 for the price of 1 of my Wrights.

5. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah look at the Toro and eXmark and I would advise agianst a Stander

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

We use toro standers exclusively and have yards anywhere from 1/8 acre up to three acres, it's all we'll use, fast nimble and great cut quality! we cut 52 yards a week with them.

7. vabch22

vabch22 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Yea, I decided against a stander because of the price. I just cannot justify that for the small amount of lawns. I do like the smaller footprint. Ferris has a model called the Evolution which seems to be a hybrid of types, but carries a $5200 price tag.

I think I'm back to the Hustler Raptor, Toro, or Gravely. I read a post on here Hustler is coming out with a Raptor SD, which I may just wait on to see about. I have been holding out till the end of the season hoping to catch a deal.

I do have a question though on leaf pickup. How do the ZTR's handle leaves? Do they mulch them up fine enough w/ just side discharge or is a bagger still needed?

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  8. kwwolfe

kwwolfe LawnSite Senior Member

I have a deere stand on 54" deck and cut my 2 acres with it. I love standing. I had and exmark str before this one and much prefer standing. The visibility is better and you can get into tighter areas. I also have a mulch kit on it and leaves just disappear under the deck. Absolutely no need for picking them up.

Not sure where you are but I am selling it because it is too wide to get through one of my gates and a couple of trees on my property. Only 12 hrs on it. $4800. Not sure where in va you are. It's a deere 657a.

If not i would still look not used commercial stuff. The cut is much nicer and the resale is much better.

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

We use full mulch kits with gator blades on our 40" stander and as long as your not in really deep leaves they will completely disappear, we can put our 40" and the 52" on three acres and be done in an hr.

10. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Control operation is another thing to consider.

I demoed a Wright and eXmark stander, at the dealer. Both machines aggravated wrist issues I have. Each definitely operates differently. I'll have to stick to my ZTRs and pushers. And, I'm fine with that.