smaller lco's are your guys/help seasonal or year round?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Dec 7, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I will be hiring one or possibly two guys this year and was curious how LCO's with the shorter seasons (I dont want to get into plowing if I dont have to) keep your guys year after year. Do you pay them year round and have them do whatever odds and ends work you can find? or do you just tell them it's going to be an 8-9 month season?

I would obviously prefer seasonal but found out this year that it was hard to find good help much less a guy who works hard AND seasonal.

I thought about H2b but I really cant afford not to have the guys show up here on time and dont want to worry about finding them housing etc....

Any suggestions/info appreciated, thanks

Adam

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Im in the same boat as you, im looking to hire my first guy this coming year 2006.

Been wondering what do I do if he doesn't show up, and can only do 60% of my route that day. How would you get them back the next spring? I mean this type work doesn't exactly attract the clean cut type im looking for.

3. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

If you have friends that do snow removal, maybe think about sending them to him for the winter months. Just to keep them working through the winter months.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Same boat. My guys are seasonal. I try to help find other work for the off season. I have a couple of friends that are contractors (Roofers etc.). One of the big things that I try to do is to treat the help right. I found that many companies out their treat their hardhands like sh%$. That is the sure way to having them find a new job come spring.

5. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I tell my guys it is seasonal from April to November. I then lay them off with the intentions of calling them back in the spring. They draw unemployment through the winter. One of my guys has already found a cash job for the winter to help him out.

6. mjean

mjean LawnSite Member

I found it hard to keep my guys at least the god ones year round if I didn't find something fo them to do in the winter. So I got into the holiday lighting between that and snow plowing I could keep them year round. I only keep the foreman the labors can be replaced in the spring if they don't come back seems like we replace labors though out the season anyway. After a year of keeping the foreman year round I turned them into salery positions. I took their income for that year and divided into 52 pays they make the same each week all year long and it has been working for several years now. of course you need to throw in a bonus or two each year it doen't have to be much. I give a bonus at x-mas and one in the middle of the summer.