Smaller mower better.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you ever feel that a smaller mower would look and do better in those tight spots but just takes to long. I have a couple properties that have areas that are separate from each other and it is hard to stripe with a 52 when it makes 3 passes. If I use a 21 I'd be there all day but maybe a 36 would do the trick. Just a thought I like to get them done fast but at some point you gotta think about what look right also.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have those issues as well... Often I run into places where I would NEVER use a 50" ZTR but I do anyway. Usually it's because I have 2 or 3 lawns close together, even though they arent really connected it's a huge time savings for me to drop the rear gate and drive the Z over them. My other option is my 33" Troybilt, which I still have to use in the gated backyards But If I can get the bigger mower on it I'm using it. Ok, I admit, I have a couple front yards and whole yards that I use the 33" (or even 2 that I use the 21" on) Just simply because they are so small and would look like crap with the larger machine. But, there again, if I had several that size in the same stop I'd be more apt to use the Z...

I have a couple lawns that are mowed by a competitor directly across from the ones I do. He has walkers but primarely uses a 36" toro walk on the front yards. they always look awesome. I try and try with my Z to make that nice of a cut and it just can't be done in tight places where there is lots of turns to make.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I do alot of really small residentials....most around 5,000 sq ft or less. I have been using my Toro 36 wb with mulching kit alot this summer....it just seems to cut prettier than the big machine on that small of an area. If I keep picking up these little yards, I'll sell my Z.