Smaller PAR

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

there are alternatives if you want incadesant smaller bulbs mike.... I have a SPJ wallwash at my house uplighting a sweet olive... very soft and dramatic. Not crazy about the fixture but love the effect. I think its 13w and im running it at a low 10v. Its the automotive style bulb that has a round base and you push it down and twist to lock it in. Been burning nightly for a year and a half.

Im sure nightscaping or someone else would customize a fixture to hold a lamp like this... fold has the light im talking about. It really does have a nice output to it and has had no water in the fixture to date despite being in the drip line.

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Billy, there is a compact halogen style bulb with the same base. It gives a bit more pop than the standard automotive bulbs.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I've seen comapct halogen or xenon lamps with a DCB (AR-11 from FX), but most of the incandescents (93, 1141, 1156, etc.) only in an SCB.

Which base do you mean?

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

im pretty sure the ones i have are 1141's I use em to light my signs too

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

6. irrig8r

But those are line voltage aren't they James?

7. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Yeah, I was wondering about an LV PAR, with a smaller diameter.

8. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Trouble with all these exotic lamps is that most are made in China and the lamp life is less than acceptable. It's also a sourcing problem for those homeowners who like to change their own bulbs. When Nate first burst on the scene he said all you ever needed was 1 bulb for outdoor lighting. We all know what bulb that is. Although his proclamation was a bit radical he hit on the idea that keeping it simple was the way to go. Perhaps 4-5 different core bulbs / wattages/ beam spreads is all you'd ever need.

9. irrig8r

While I tend to agree with you about sourcing lamps from companies with unknown track records, I've always held that the big selling point of MR-16's, besides their compact size, was the variety of wattages and beam spreads available.

10. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

No disagreement there