1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Smallest Kubota Tractor for Landscapeing?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shady Brook, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am considering a Kubota tractor for all purpose landscapeing. I want a loader, would like a backhoe, and the ability to run a variety of three point tools including a harley rake. I need to be able to go into the back of a farily tall sided one ton dump as well.

What unit would you suggest that would be a good all around performer for these purposes? I have been looking at the B7800, L3830, and the B21. I fear anything smaller will not be sufficient. I am fearful that the B21 may not have the hp to run a harley rake either, but would be a great tool otherwise.

I would even consider another brand if it were quality and met my needs. I would like the smallest unit for manuverability in residencial areas, as well as easier on turf and better to transport.

2. gregp

gregp LawnSite Member
    from North

I run a T5 Harley Power Rake on my New Holland TC24DA. That is a 24 hp with hydrostatic drive.It works very well and i have not had any trouble operating the rake with my tractor. 100 hours and counting.
  3. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

we have nothing but good things to say about our bx-23. It can lift anything you can fit into the bucket. You will obviously need a bigger tractor to move pallets and extremely heavy loads, but for the size we have been nothing but impressed. They make a harley rake and TR-3 rake for these size tractors, and it comes with a backhoe that will dig about 4 1/2 feet (they say 6, but thats in ideal conditions). Good luck with your decision, this is our recommendation.

4. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

just bought a bx-23, run a 5 foot york rake and dug up a few stumps, great machine and i can get it in almost anywhere
  5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I really like what I see in the BX23, but don't think it will allow for loading small dump trucks due to the limited height of lift from the loader. Looks like a compact little unit though.

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Harley rakes take very little power.
    Hydrostatic is a must.
    I use a L3710.
    The b Series are narrow and when lifting loads high with the Bucket it can be nerve racking.
    My loader Is a bush hog Brand and is rated for like 1800 at the pins.I hve lifted in excess of 2000 with it.If I had it too do over I would buy the L series with the bigger engine that will hold the larger loader.The larger loader will pick up well over 2000 pounds.
    I had a backhoe for it too and it was a load for a Half ton truck.So if weight is a concern then a smaller tractor may be a better direction.
    The turning radius on my tractor is very tight also.
    You can get a Skid steer adapter plate for loader and use most skidsteer stuff like buckets and forks.A skid steer bucket grades better because of there length.
    Get the Aux remote valves in back.Add Hyd top link and side link and you can do wonders with it.You can also had remot valves at the front and tee them into your loader lines and use electric over hyd valves and use the curl function on the loader joystick too run a grapple bucket.
    Will be wonderful for cleanups and loading rubbish.
  7. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

Just picked up an L2800, I think it is the perfect size. My uncle has the L3830 and it is a big machine, I almost think that it is to big for landscaping and such. The L2800 is not to big and not to small.
  8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Sometimes it gets tight with mine ,but the size really helps when digging.
    The smaller ones are great also ,but I really like the size and stability that comes with the size.
    Most of our work is on 1 acre plus size lots so the size is not as much of an issue.

Thats an excellent tractor.I really believe an L series is the only choice.Just pick your Flavor. :blob3: