Smallest Truck for residential?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by columbiaplower, Jan 23, 2001.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

Currently i have a 94 F-250 with a 8ft fisher and a 2 stage fisher spreader. I do both short and long res. and a fair amount of lots. I want to add a second truck that could perform both these tasks. I ve been leaning twards a 2000 or 2001 F250. What do u think? What type of plow/spreader would u reccomend? ANyone with this truck- what is ur setup and what do u think?

Thanks, Nick

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Get an F 350 Pick up, cost about 1K more than an F 250.

Gives you a better plow truck, with the same turning radius, and size. Allows you to haul a v-box spreader better than an F 250.

Geoff

3. columbiaplower

dule wheels? and what kind of plow/v-box? will duleys let me put a bigger plow on it?

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

not all F 350 pick ups have DRWs. They come standard with SRW, having DRW will allow for a bigger V-box. However you should be fine with a 1.5 yard model V-box as long as ya don't overload it too bad. You can have a 9' straight blade or an 8.5' v-plow on an F 350.

If it was me I would go with SWR no reason to make the truck any wider than needed.

Geoff

5. columbiaplower

this will be ok for small drives?

6. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Geoff
    Do the dual wheels increase the turning radius or is it about the same. I always kind of thought that it would make it harder to turn in a small space.

Bruce
    Happy plowing

7. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

It may be time to try and split up your work, into two routes, one commercial and one residential. Then you can use your 250 on either one.

For your new truck-

If you wanted to add more commercial, then buy a 350.

If you would rather expand into res., then maybe an older half ton short box with a 7'6 V might be a cheaper alternative, and would be a joy to use in small drives.

8. boba

boba LawnSite Member

I run a 2000 F350 srw regular cab, PSD with automatic, fisher 8.5 ezv. I plow second homes with driveways from 10' to a mile long. This truck is easy to turn, pushes great and the v plow, to me, is the only way to go. On this truck a use a tailgate sander when needed. On my other acounts I use 1999 F350 dump,PSD with 6spd, Boss 9.2 V plow and 2 yard sander. No way can I easily do the same work with the second truck.

9. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

It really depends upon what you will be plowing.
    The last company I worked for did its residentials with 1 ton dumps with 9ft blades and a v-box.
    If you could turn it around in an average residential in less than a 5 point turn you were doing ok.
    I liked that plow route a lot better when I had the 3/4 ton p/u.
    But I'd rather do the commercial accounts with the F350.
    just my opinion though.

10. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

If your not going to do commercial at all you could use a Jeep like me. I've used my Jeep now for two seasons averaging 40 homes (12 three car garage with circles)without any problems. I would go for a six cylinder next time.. I use a 6.5 western plow that works great. Jeep turns on a dime and visability is excellent. There is a ton of Jeep sites and parts a plentiful.

Marty