Smart Bidder!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green King, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead:

Just found out today that I was as well as many others blown away on a 135acre city bid! The winner beat everyone by $10 an acre making his bid at $12 an acre! Real Smart! Out of that he has to get Workmans Comp! a Performance Bond and Insurance! That does not include what he pays employees gas and other expensed plus the machinery from what I have seen will not make through the year! It just amazed me and everyone else who got last years bid info and bid it accordingly! Then some dumb bell bids this like this I hope it rains and rains for him so he can make just as much money as I will on that bid!

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

3. Green King

I actually mow just under 300acre a week with the city now! Make pretty good money when one guy and machine will pump out 7-8 acres an hour!

I have had batwings mowers before but with all the turning and hills we have they just have not saved us any real time!

My point is this the city bids are public knowledge on what they go for from year to year! This was not a real bright move when everyone was in the 22-25 area!

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

If he puts 2 WAM's on it he could knock it out in a day. But I get where your coming from. We lost a bid last year to someone who bid 1/3 of what we did. The other crew showed up once and then canceled the contract so wait and see what happens.

5. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

so is this guy local?

ever seen him around?

I have been the low bid and made tons of money and the next year i was the high bidder at the same price...

if he fails it will send a very clear message for next year....

6. Green King

actually I never heard of the guy! I really think he is fly by night guy but we will see! The wam mowers the way these properties are actually cost you time for the most part! To many obsticalls and hills to manuever quickly!

7. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns LawnSite Member

Yea they could knock it out in one day with 2 $55,000 mowers but thats $110,000.00 in just 2 mowers that you now have to find work for for the next 4 days of the week to make the payments on. around here i think that same large acre lots go for no less than $35 an acre

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I see school is back in session.

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Who would buy $55K mowers for only a days use? The guy could run them 7 days a week, how do we know. However $800 per day per mower isn't too bad. But then again the guy who bid could plan on using his 42" murray, who knows. If you can get $35 an acre for the same job where your at you are extremely lucky.

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The wrath of a low bider getting lowballed.