Smart Phone or pocket pc

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by racer56, Jan 20, 2008.

1. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Well we need to add another line to our ATT plan. We have more phones around hee than Carter has pills but I guess they come with a plan take it or leave it. Anyway I thought maybe we would get a phone I could email easy on. We are getting new software for accounting and billing and this phone. Anything work together in a package? Anyone use these in the field? I thought they might not hold up that well.
    We are going to be trying to use email more and more this year and the coming years so having that with me would be nice. Things I need in this order are: Nice, loud and clear voice in and out.
    Signal
    Keyboard for big fingers(I don't want to use a toothpick)
    Easy to navigate menus
    Not big as a house
    Nice format to store customer info
    I like that apps. to go software
    A way to review estimates maybe

One thing that happens to me alot is customer calls and has a question about some small thing on a bid and I tell them I'll have to call them back after I get back and look. I would love to just wrap it up while on the phone. This would of course save me one more thing to do when done for the day and having to call them back and the whole phone tag thing. Anyway I can buy back some of my day would be great. Does this extra money for the phone and data plan fees really save you and make things easier or just anouther toy? Black Jack II, BlackBerry, or the Motorola Q?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.alltel.com/wps/portal/Al...ome/p/phonesandaccessories/phones/htcppc6800/

This one does everything you would want. Can keep customer list, e-mail, internet, sync with computer, has a pull out keyboard that you can use with your fingers. I think it will even print with a buletooth printer. I have got it to recognize the printer, but cant get the printer to print. I have to find out what I an doing worong. I usually hate fancy phones that do useless crap, but this one isnt like that at all.

3. lawnman_scott

Thanks for starting the thread. I was sitting here after my post and decided to look for software. I found a program for $19.95 that allows you to print with this phone. I got it and it works, so I can print invoices, estimates, or contracts or time sheets right from my phone now also. I looked when I bought the phone but Im not real patient with that sort of theing.

4. racer56

from Kansas

I think att calls this phone, Tilt? Anyway it looks like the same one. I thought about finding a pone with wifi so I don't need a data plan. The forums all over the net say the Blackberry does email the best? None really says how or why. Looks like you click the same buttons and the process is the same to me. I like the looks of the Pantech Duo. Only problem is 3 hours talk time. I can see over a long day and then off work the phone might not make it before I charge the thing at night. Do you really use the applications the phone comes with? How does it say you time?

5. lawnman_scott

Yes it is the same phone. The only diff is that the alltel phone just slides out, no tilt. My wife has the tilt. I just like that I can keep my customer list on it, keep my time sheet on it and snyc it at the end of the week and keep track of what was done during the week. And now I can print out an invoice, estimate, or contract in a matter of seconds right from my phone in the turck. Blackberry is just known for e-mail because thats what it does best. My email shows up on the front screen, just one button to touch. Very convenient. And this phone also has wifi if you dont want to get the data plan. I just like having the internet, mostly just for a convenience, nothing that has to be done.

6. racer56

from Kansas

Sent you a pm...

7. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

The black berry units have a different technology that allows an email to have access to the server as soon as you hit send. it also looks for an email as soon as it is received so that you have it instantly. The palms and similar phones have a different technology that when you press send, it may not actually send the message until 10mins. later. You can change that setting to happen sooner, but from what i hear, it runs your battery down faster. it all depends on what you mainly want it for. if you are looking for a phone to talk and send emails, the black berry is probally your best bet. if yoiu are looking to talk and use the outlook/pda feature the most, the palm or windows based units may suit you better. i know that most people i have talked to love there black berrys and moto-q's. most of the people i have spoken with hate their palms.

8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Any luck on picking a phone. Im in the market for one as well. Ive narrowed it down to either the 6800 or Q. I need to run mobile 6 and manage customer lists and scheduling. Ive read a review that the 6800 has poor call quality though. Anything else out there I should be looking at? BB and Palm are out.

9. racer56

from Kansas

I think I'm going with the Blackberry 8310. It does have a schdule planner and docs to go to read and edit or create office applications. The mobile 6 is read only I think. I don't need the gps part of the bb as we have the gps in both trucks now but I guess it comes with it. Why do you have to have the mobile 6? What software does it have that the bb doesn't? To tell ou the truth I like some things about each of the phones they have but dislike something on each. Man if they would just put the things I want on a phone from what they already have I would buy in a second. That docs to go by data viz that comes on the bb new software is really good. I'vve played with it abit and it works without a bunch of thumbing through menus. The blackjack keyboard is abit too small for my fingers but I like the icons it uses. The Moto Q was very fast in loading different websites compared to all the other phones. I would say it is between the Moto Q, BB 8310 and the Palm 6800. I used to use a Palm and loved the way the thing way laid out and the menus but water got the dang thing. I couldn't hear as well on the palm so that is the only hold up with that one. I must have some hearing loss as some of the phones I just can't hear well with. BB and Moto are miles ahead in this that's for sure.
    This are doesn't support the 3G speed on any device so it takes away the speed of the Moto and it was still faster so if your area supports the 3G speed I would think the Moto would be smoking fast. Everyone I've talked to says the BB is the only way to go so hard to take the Moto for more money or it. Wife just laughs at me and says I'm going to buy the one I first picked up :laugh: after all this.

10. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

i am looking at going with the bb 8830 world addition. i played with it for a while today and liked its functionality. i also dislicked the way i would have to access emails through the 6800 although it was a cool phone. if you are making calls and doing emails, it looks like the bb is the best bet. at least for me.