Smart phone, reader and printer? Anyone use them!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by meets1, Apr 13, 2012.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I am starting another business (nursery side to our landcare/landscape) I dont have a permant location yet so therefor no dedicated land line. I am looking at adding a smart phone, credit card reader and printer. Anyone have this, use it, what to get, what to do, what to look for???

2. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

i was just on squareup's website. I use them for my mobile creditcard processing. They have cashregister, printer, system that runs off the Ipad. More than what most guys need for landscaping but a nersury set up, this could work. https://squareup.com/register

3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Echoing GreenIndustry, Square is absolutely fantastic.

If you want to avoid a land-line, or just have an additional phone line, check out Google's Voice service (google.com/voice). It's free, extremely powerful, and with the Google Voice app on your smart phone, you can run it completely transparent to your customers. For example, you can see the call coming in to your phone as being from your Google Voice line, and via the app, you can dial out and your customer's caller ID shows your GVoice number. Also, calls can be forwarded to any number of phones you set up. The administration is quite simple and done via a dashboard that looks just like Gmail.

Other great features are transcribed voicemails emailed to you (albeit sometimes amusingly inaccurate) and, my personal favorites:

- the ability to set different outbound messages for different people based on their number (managed like you would an email group, so you could have a specific message that only your customers or suppliers here, etc)
    - conference calls
    - have calls not ring through to your phone during non-business hours.
    - call screening, like the good ol' days of listening to your answering machine, and picking up mid-message
    - recording of calls
    - sms texting

You can also pick your phone number, based on availability.

For anyone starting a business, or running one, it's definitely one of the great tools that can save you another monthly bill.

Tony

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Thats awesome advice. My cell phone provider I checked with never had that, didn't know about it but as seen the device. I am thinking its out there lets use this stuff. I will be checking this out this afternoon!

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Just as a clarification for eveyone, you don't technically have to have a smart phone to use Google Voice. You can run it entirely from your computer using a microphone, or bluetooth headset, to make and return calls.

Android phones and iPhone can use the Google Voice app to perform the full "I'm actually using a phone" functionality.

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using Google voice for 6 months and love it...great for business...lots of features as stated earlier....a must have!

7. Pro-turf lawn

Pro-turf lawn LawnSite Member

Tell me more about this google voice can you get a call even if your not on 3G and it will come up that someone is calling form the lock screen like a regular call I have the I phone 4s

8. Pro-turf lawn

Tell me more about this google voice can you get a call even if your not on 3G and it will come up that someone is calling form the lock screen like a regular call I have the I phone 4s

9. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

How do you politely deal with others stealing your thread subject? There are some people that will just introduce an entirely different question on someone else thread, so how do we deal with them? Thanks "Pro"-turf lawn!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  10. Pro-turf lawn

This isn't your thread anyway.... They have been talking about google voice for the last 4 posts
    Posted via Mobile Device