Smart phones and scheduling

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FERT-TEK, Feb 7, 2007.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you guys use a smart phone or PDA to track your fert applications and/or scheduling. If you do which one do you use and what program have you found to be most useful? What information do you track with it?
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

No idea from me, but Dave, you and I always seem to be about the same areas in our business.

I've been looking at a couple of phones for the last 2-3 months, but haven't seen any programs to run yet.

I'm tagging this more to make sure I don't miss the responses.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Well then lets bump this post so it gets a little more exposure before it gets buried.
  4. LTDLawnCare

LTDLawnCare LawnSite Member

Bump, I am also Very interested to see what people have been using
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I found it. Guys it is not a cheap deal but if you run five or more phones let me know.
  6. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I run five or more business phones?
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We have been using preprinted route sheets for some time now. Everything is scheduled for the foreman, and is stored in every GPS unit in the trucks. Paperwork comes in every night and is entered into the shop computer including routes, comments, hours, material, etc.. At that time the next days route is already printed with material needed. Any adjustments/problems that the foreman sees are brought to attention that night, and all trucks are loaded the night before, unless material is at a supplier. :)
  8. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Well whats the deal, we run 5 also?
  9. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

What type of gps units do you use? Can you put the whole route in there for lawn maint. or do they type it in as needed?
  10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Here is the deal. Cingular has recently installed Corrigo onto their servers as a managed enterprise solution.

With Smart phones, you get Telnav for GPS and traffic info to save you time. You get GPS time stamps and bread crumbs for your trucks. You get electronic time cards. You get a PM type scheduling as well as dispatching.

In addition, you can connect to your QBs. You can go do an estimate on the lap top or smart phone, if the smart phone has a touch screen the prospect can sign the estimate then it becomes a work order and the client is now in your QB's program.

Say you have an irrigation leak request, you dispatch your guy. He uses out of inventory and puts it on the service ticket. Your inventory is managed, I am getting the bar code reader on the phone too.

Say using the example above, not everything required is on the truck, the tech can create a PO and send it to the closest supply house so it will be ready for him then completes the job.

You now have a complete record of the drive time, repair time, mileage and parts. If the client ask you can show them the entire time spent on that job via GPS. You can take a picture of the work/used parts and save them with the work order.

This is just some of the reasons and things the system can do.

It will cost ya the smart phones plus about 160.00 plus per phone for service. If it saves me 20 minutes per day per truck it will pay for itself.

Also, think about if someones house is broken into when your guys are cutting grass? You have a GPS record.