Smart remark=got hung up on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KTO Enterprises, Jun 20, 2007.

1. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I had someone call me the other day about bush hogging a lot for them. He told me it was a 1/2 acre lot, so i told him I have a 200 minimum for the first hour and 120 per every hour after that, but it wouldnt take more than an hour so 200, and he called me a crook. His exact words were "Thats a rip off, what makes you think its worth that much?" I made the remark, $29,000 tractor, $6,000 trailer and a $13,000 truck, fuel at over 2.50 per gallon, not to mention one stump equals big repairs. I asked him if he thought I was going to show up bicycle with a pair of scissors. thats when he hung up on me.

I dont get people. So many want something for nothing.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Seems like there are a lot of people that want something done, but don't want to pay what it costs to do it. Oh well, that's just the way it is. They don't understand the costs involved with things they think they want done.

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

people just dont understand overhead

4. KTO Enterprises

How else am I going to buy another engine for the racecar?

5. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

People just don't understand that our equipment costs thousands of dollars. They think we are coming over with a push mower and an electric trimmer. Wrong. I don't see how your comment "$29,000 tractor, $6,000 trailer and a $13,000 truck, fuel at over 2.50 per gallon, not to mention one stump equals big repairs" would get someone to hang up on you. You answered as simple as could be. You'll find a better customer.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Some people cannot handle honesty. Or the fact that equipment cost money...

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I actually like that response from you.:laugh:

He smarted off first but you hit back well enough, he knew you were right so he did what he could to save face. Good job:weightlifter:

8. KTO Enterprises

How else can I afford to produce my movie film for my government to show peoples the niceties of LCOs?

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

He could always go out and rent a tractor and brush hog for $3-400/ day, fill it up with his own fuel, and provide his own labor as he learns how to do/ not do things correctly. Oh, and then if he breaks anything in the process........

10. KTO Enterprises

Then when he runs over one of those yellow jacket nests, welcome to my world. lol

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=187451&page=2

this is my bush hoggin rig.