1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Smartest thing Ive done yet.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KTO Enterprises, May 25, 2007.

1. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend in the property management business that has gotten me a couple of big contracts. So when he moved into one of the new Centex developments here in town I offered to do his yard for free for 6 months as the yard doesn't take me 15 minutes gate up to gate down. (.19 ac yard with a 1900 sq foot house.) Everyone saw how nice his lawn was looking so soon, as everyone who has just moved in doesnt have time to cut so some are lookin a little shabby. I have recieved 5 phone calls and 4 new accounts since doing his yard the first time. It only takes me 15 minutes per yard or about 22 to do 2 if they are right next to each other. I now have the people in the sales office recommending me to new people. Better yet this development is only a mile and a half from the house. I charge 30 per cut and can do all 5 houses in less than an hour and a half, including time from the house and back.

Just thought Id let some know if you see a Centex development sign make your self seen!
  2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

very nice! thats good easy money if you ask me. good job.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats! Sounds like you have landed something very nice! :)
  4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar thing happen to me.

I have a friend that I bartered a little with. He picks my kids up from school and takes them home everyday and in return I mow his lawn. He asked for fert too and said he would pay but I did it for free also. Got some beautiful stripes.

Now I signed up his next door neighbor, the neighbor next to them and another house about three houses down.

5. KTO Enterprises

Best of all there are only about 25-30 houses built so far of a planned 200!
  6. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

So how much you making on a fifteen minute job?

I've found the smaller jobs pay better in the long run. Everybody seems to prefer the bigger jobs because they're easy, but they're more competitive too.
  7. RLW

RLW LawnSite Member

Amen, my brother.
    A couple of housing developments we work in allow me to pull in about 100 per hour. All because they see what we provide at their neighbors house.
    The bigger jobs can be pretty cut throat out here, I prefer residential.
  8. KTO Enterprises

Im doing them for 30 dollars per lawn per cut. I can do 4 in one hour if I don't have to move the truck.
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Very cool.

I have landed several weekly accounts this way, cutting someones grass, and the neighbor or someone a couple houses down approaches me wanting a price. Sometimes it ends up with a signed agreement, sometimes not.

Yesterday I did a mulch install and now I get to give estimates to their neighbor and someone across the street.

The homeowner was impressed with my mulch install.

Now I find out she is on the HOA board, and low and behold, they're looking for someone to tear out a ton of shrubs and mulch the common entrance for the subdivision:) So I get to give a quote on that as well...
  10. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Damn. That's a hefty price for a job so small. Enjoy it while you can.

My prices aren't that high. If I was going to price something like that, I'd probably charge $20. BUT, if it was out of my way, I'd charge more for travel time. Sometimes, what happens is, I charge more for travel time, get the job, then I end up picking up neighbors too. Naturally, I charge the same, using the current customer as a reference. Before I know it, these houses are the best on my route.

Problem is, if my schedule is full, which it usually is, I don't even bother with jobs that aren't close to my route.