Smartline Irrigation Controller?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kcrossley, Mar 14, 2009.

1. kcrossley

kcrossley LawnSite Member

Last summer I got hit with a $1,367 water bill for three months. My lot is size is about 1/3 of an acre and my irrigation system has eight zones. On average, each zone is set for 15 minutes, three times a week. According to my utility company, I used 111,750 gallons for irrigation purposes.

They've agreed to remove the sewage fees, but clearly something is not right. The system is shut down for the winter so I won't be able to check it until this spring.

Because I live in a water conservation area, the cost of water is really high:
    <15,000 gallons: $2.85/1,000 gal
    >15,000 gallons and <30,000: $3.45/1,000 gal
    >30,000 gallons: $9.80/1,000 gal

Regardless of what's wrong, I still need to reduce my irrigation water usage. I'm considering a Weathermatic 1600 with SLW10. Does anyone have any experience with a similar setup? Is this the best solution for reducing my water consumption?

Thanks,
    Kelly

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A separate meter might be needed for not paying sewerage, in the long run. As for the watering needs of the property, the 'standard' of one inch of water per week translates to 27,000 gallons per week per acre. In an entire season, you can easily use over 100,000 gallons on a third-acre.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

How old is the system , does it have a master valve? You may have some use do to valve weeping. What type of controller do you have now?

4. I believe a WM SL and SL10 will help if for no other reason that it will adjust your system. Not sure where you are but a VA poster here named HOKIE may weigh in and be able to service you personally.

Go to my site and read my blog intended for homeowners.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Before you get too carried away, purchase a inexpensive moisture meter, available at nurserys and home centers. By checking the zones, you'll get a better handle on your plants needs and adjust the clock accordingly,

6. kcrossley

Yes, I already have a submeter. The 111,750 gallons I used was for 3 months.

7. kcrossley

System is less than two years old. I believe it does have a master valve. The controller is a cheap Toro model. TNC-212 series. What is weeping?

8. kcrossley

What's the specific link?

9. My order of checking
    Is the meter stationary when no water is in use?
    Have you done a 5 gallon bucket test?
    Are you certain you have no phantom programs in your controller?
    Have you walked the system to determine no leaks or breaks?
    How many gallons per minute is each zone using?
    It is a math problem once everything else has been eliminated.