1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Smartline Programming Strategies

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kiril, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Curious how people approach programming the Smartline. I see two options.

1) Baseline programming with only hydrozone run times and desired start times, let the controller determine soak times and when to water. This would mean setting the controller to water every day, with the exception of days or times you need to skip.

2) Full blown schedule, and only let the controller determine if watering is needed on the scheduled day.

I see potential drawbacks for both methods.

2. I use auto adjust. With a few personal quirks. Don't like to water more than twice a week. So don't allow more than two days. like lots of multi cycling so I put in a slope of 10% on clay soil. I also avoid the easy scheduling of choosing plant types and spray types. like to set my own precip rate and my own percentage off the plant default. I lie to the clock some to make a few quirk adjustments.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

In your opinion, how well does it handle cycle and soak in auto mode?

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Definately use auto adjust. If you use Standard, you won't see nearly the water savings that auto adjust can produce.

also, one thing that weathermatic was doing this spring is that they were only watering once a week. (they just have turf and shrubs, no annuals) and by the time the Friday watering day came up, it had rained that morning or the day before.

I think we ended up running for a whole month without the irrigation system coming on. Just one idea on how to play with the rain delay function.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well its based on soil type / slope percentage. If you can dial that in correctly, (everyone should be able to), my experience is that it completely eliminates runoff. And if it runs too long, just increase the slope percentage.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The rain sensor in my region is worthless other than preventing the system from running in the winter if someone forgets to shut it off. Essentially the weather station is a very expensive thermometer.

I can schedule the controller to prevent runoff, and most likely save more water than auto mode (I push my landscapes to the breaking point). I'm not really looking for water savings out of this controller for this site (high end rental property), but more to avoid having to maintain the controller over the growing season. Once it is dialed in, I only want to go out there to turn it off in the winter.

Has anyone tried a full blown manual schedule then put it in auto mode (eg. how does the controller handle multiple starts in auto adjust)?

7. Use the run soak feature and multiple start settings are unnecessary.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

On the SL I just installed, will need a delay for the cisterns to recharge,
    will this affect any weather station control features?

9. To my knowledge no. Certain settings override the weather station and MV on/off and delays are one of them

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't the controller handle that (run/soak) in auto mode?