Smartline revisited

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tom Tom, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking of changing out my irritrol smart dial at my own house this year. I'll have to pay $48. bucks to renew the ET paging service for it. The service was free for the first 2 years.

I tried this controller out with the idea that I would upsell my customers with this controller. It worked well, but I'm thinking the Smartline would work out better-mainly because of the yearly $48 fee after the first 2 years that you have to pay with a smartdial/intellisense.

I like Fimco's idea(I think it was his) of using a soil moisture sensor with the Weathermatic smartline.

I also like how the price seems to be almost in line with a conventional controller - makes for an easier upsell.

For the guys that have used the Smartline, how reliable has it been?

Are you using the weather station with it too or just the soil sensor?

thanks, Tom

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not another Smartline thread. :cry:

Fimco is the only person on this board to my knowledge that has tried using a SMS with the Smartline. I may be doing something similar in a couple of months.

IMHO, if you don't get the weather station, your only getting half of a controller.

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

How many installs do you guys get to in a avg year & how many service customers do you have. Are you looking to install 10-20 timers to test them on installs or you are looking to upsell your customer base.

4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

We have installed 15 Intelli-Sense timers to date. They are too complicated for your avg customer. I personally like the idea of the $48 a year fee though. We just got done bidding a civil job where a Intelli-sense was spec and not negotiable.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Tom Tom needs some drumbsticks.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Fimco and John are the Smratline pros. Most of my installs are upgrades.

7. Mike Leary

The Freudian slips are running rampant, lately.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

ROFL .... Ratline -> I like the sound of that given Fimco's problems with chewed weather stations. :laugh:

9. Mike Leary

And just in case Weather Matic's big scoop does not work,
    you've named it correctly. I like "Ratline Irrigation"
    for a entry level, bottom-feeding company, tho.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

weathermatic and quality in the same sentence?