Smartline skinny..Part II

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've been following your posts about this clock & I'm getting a little shell-
    shocked (or clock-shocked). Hank & I have tandem jobs going, his is low
    pressure & long application, so the weather-station & ET feature is of interest.
    Mine is high pressure, free water, but low re-charge to storage. I need delay
    between zones. I built the maintenance end of the biz using only two types of
    controllers..made programming & trouble-shooting easy..I'm not too thrilled
    about a third clock in our systems, but here we go. Given the stumbles W.M.
    has had, I'm gun-shy...I know Mike @ W.M. & found him to be a quality guy.
    I guess my question, you "testers" in the field, would you install another one?
    Is there a delay between stations? or, since I understand it's modular, I could
    use "phantom" (I've got to get a avatar!) un-used zones for my delay. I sense
    there is a "start-up learning curve", fine, done that w/Rain Masters. Do you
    think it will hold up "in the field"? (old W.M. advertising slogan).Thanks, M:)

2. Only clock I install. Had a few bugs but WM has been honest and fast with solutions and fixing glitches. Let me make sure you get the latest addition. I'll check mine on the delay issue. Find a job you can monitor closely for your first install.

3. Mike Leary

Thanx, Peter, I'm sure Hankus will read this too.:)

4. Zone delay up to three hours. allows MV delay as well.

5. Mike Leary

Thanks Peter..looks like Hank is getting a demo unit...see if I can screw it
    up!:laughing:

6. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

I started installing this clock about a year ago. The biggest problem I've had with it was needing to replace their cheap 9 volt batteries with better ones. They've stopped sticking cheap ones so check to see if you recognize the name of the battery. The right hand side of the panel is pretty much the same as any other controller. The left hand side is where most of your learning curve takes place because that's how you tweak the auto-adjust.

The main settings I change are...
    Monthly seasonal adjust - I set this just in case it loses contact with the monitor - hasn't happened yet but I don't trust computers.

Run-Soak - Again just in case the monitor stops working.

Sprinkler Type - Unless I use MPR's I usually just choose the type.

Plant Type - This is the spot where I where I do what I call "coarse tuning" increase or decrease based upon sun or shade or plant type - St. Augustine needs 80% not the warm-season grass. This can be done in the "more or less" spot but if I do it here it gives the customer a starting point of zero in the "more or less" and they can do the "fine tuning" if things are too dry or wet.

The thing I love about this controller is the way I set it all the customer has to do is occasionally set time (it does run a little fast) and if necessary tweak the more or less. Generally the customer brings out a notepad ready to write lots of notes and when I'm done they haven't written a thing down because it's so straight forward to them. I've also used this on several major new plant installations and have lost very few - even in 105 degree weather. Very impressive.

7. Mike Leary

Thanx for the info, sounds like the "more or less" is a percentage adjust, globally, or is by program or zone?

8. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

"more or less" is zone by zone in each program. The seasonal adjust is global. One other global feature that bit us this year was Omit. All omits are global which is fine except Plano Texas came up with watering something like 2am-10am one day and 7pm to 12PM another which apparently no smart controller will do. Thank heavens within a couple of months we had huge amounts of rain that forced all cities off of their restrictions but for a while there I had to explain to most of my SL customers why we had to put their controller into standard mode - making their monitor worthless.

9. Mike Leary

Cute Plano, the only way you could do that would be to have enough programs to do different weeks & days. Rain Master is a two week program with 12 programs, but W.M. has never figured we need many programs (we do) so go nuts!:hammerhead: Thanx again, M