Smartline SLW15 / SLW25?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kcrossley, Mar 14, 2009.

1. kcrossley

kcrossley LawnSite Member

Does anyone know when Smartline will be releasing these sensors?
  2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

3. kcrossley

kcrossley LawnSite Member

Did it work okay?
  4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

They work fine. We just switched over to the new wireless weather station from the wired one sl10 ..

The main thing with programming that controller with a weather station is to have a default programming in.. IF for some reason there is no communication between the 2 devices after 5 days it will switch over to the default programming.

I Highly recommend after you get the controller installed to have a professional come and program it correctly
  5. From past experience with new products and with WM in particular if at all possible a SL 10 (hardwire sensor weather monitor) can be used I'd go that route. I'm convinced the irrigation manufacturers in general do not extensively test their products but rely on contractor feedback and returns. Wireless products are so darn tempting from a labor point of view but letting a product be on the market at least a year and having others do the testing can save you a lot of aggravation. Fortunately my supply house relationships are good enough that I get straight answers when I ask about returns on products. I quit doing volume business with a supply house in Dallas because they flat out lied to me concerning a problem the RB PE valve had when it first came out 20 years ago and it still sticks with me today.
  6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

And then come back four to eight more times throughout the year to lie to the controller so it doesnt overwater the he!! out of your yard.

Ive found the WMSL's to take a lot of upkeep on the programming side. Whats actually needed in the yard is typically a far cry from the true conditions that you program into the controller.

But then again, any system needs adjusting, even ET controllers, as conditions in the yard change.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It generally takes me one complete season in an established yard for me to dial in a controller, "smart" or not.

With respect to the sensor, as with any weather sensor, placement is critical, and one would hope it is placed where it represents the average conditions the entire landscape will see.
  8. The most effective method for MAX water savings inmo is to keep the system off. Observe and check landscape with a reliable soil moisture sensor. Run the zones individually as needed. Apply a 1/2" with multi cycling to avoid run off.

This requires a HANDS ON homeowner which seems to have died out with my parents generation. I've got 80 year olds with mechanical timers that manage water about as well as it can be done.
  9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We have two airline pilots who both have Hardie "Touch Command" clocks
    and adjust the dickens out of them, with great results. The rest leave the
    clocks to us.
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

WAYYYYYY to much work, and should not be left to the homeowner.

I typically will do my generic schedule based on ET calculations for the property, then I will monitor soil moisture by taking readings right after an irrigation event (once the soil has reached field capacity) and the day before the next scheduled watering. From this information and plant observations I will make adjustments to the schedule.