1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Smartphones? Pocket PCs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by apowell18, Dec 18, 2006.

1. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I really didn't know where else to post this and since I am still learning this seemed like a good spot.

I will be beginning my business this spring as well as beginning my Masters degree in August. I will be away from home dawn to dusk most days of the week and I am looking for a smartphone or pocket pc to purchase. I am with T-Mobile and they have an MDA that I can buy...my questions:

Do any of you have this technology and use for your business? There is alot of software that can be installed on these phones such as weather forcasts and maps as well as GPS.

For those that do use this technology, what software do you particularly like and recommend? I noticed I can also install financial billing software to keep track of time and whatnot.

Thanks fellas...
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I'm wondering, if you want portability, why don't you just get a laptop?

I must admit, I have been looking at HP's IPAQ series of pocket PCs though.

But, I think a laptop would be more versatile, unless you MUST carry it in your pocket.
  3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Just get a internet card form your favorrite carrier, and Buy a laptop. Much more useful and worth it.

Many of the smart phones on the market, are slow, and crash a lot.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. In this day and age, so far, the best bet is the laptop. In the near future (next 10 year or less), laptops won't even be laptops. They will be a small collapsible keyboard (probably folding within itself) and the screen will be "virtual projection". In other words, non-existent. I've seen the technology, it already exists,...it is just being delayed for what is known as "evolutionary marketing". In other words, they are holding out to sell recent technology and bleed it out. That's right...plasma screens? They will be a thing of the past, too. Remember,...we saw these LCD screens as cutting edge - still do (let alone laptops).
    Anyway, the new visual technology will use a virtual screen. It will project a hologram type image. The screen will come up, form a square or rectangular flt (2 dimensional) area, be perfectly readable and visible in any light, but will also be transparent. You will be able to put your finger (or hand) right through it. This picture will also appear 3D. The televisions of the future? Let me say this...Don't be in a super hurry to get on the "plasma" train. The new t.v.'s will be a small box, about the size of a single fluorescent light fixture. When the tv is turned on, the screen will project.
    But anyway, back to today...I agree that a laptop is the best way to go.
  5. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I have really thought of laptops and I am planning on getting one anyway, for portability of course, however I'm seeing that the pocket pc may be more practical...I appreciate the input greatly and am definetly giving it all an in depth look...whatever I get will need to support both school and work on the go...
  6. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

The laptop can do just that. And you can get a way better deal on a laptop then smart phone.

The mda is like $249?

My dad is pricing laptops, and we have found some really good ones- 2.4 ghz, 256 mb ram, 40 gig hd, for like $200 bucks.

I mean, smart phones are nice, but they aren't reliable. I've noticed T-Mobiles network goes down almost once a week. (I have the SK3)
  7. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

you will not be as limited with a laptop IMO
  8. GotGreen

GotGreen LawnSite Member
    from STL

I have several friends and a couple of family members that have "smart phones" and PDA's and I have seen fists hand that not sometimes but a lot of times, they are just not as reliable or heavy duty for office use, let along for outdoor use like we do. On the other hand, I have a friend that works on the field of construction who has a Nextel phone that is rugged looking and he claims is the best and longest lasting phone he ever had, except for the dead coverage spots Nextel has on some rural areas. I do not know about using a laptop PC on the field as I consider that a distraction and a productivity killer, unless you are a salesman for you company and like to do a Power Point presentation to potential costumers or if you are on landscaping, to involve the potential costumer on the design and show before and after shots with one of several landscaping programs and/or filling forms for costumers on location (which I consider more convenient on preprinted forms) or have several employees and your only job is managing several jobs on location. If thats what you need, you need to take a look at something like this: http://www.panasonic.com/business/t...ds/pcsc/horizontal_9_06/nytimes/pan1382_86x40 Myself being a Verizon user for many years and a single LCO ( hopefully not for too long) have my eye on this phone http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=2627 the Verizon Wireless G'zOne Type-V