smashed rear window

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Apr 11, 2000.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Was weedeating a vets office yesterday. Close to a huge car lot. The vets office had a few weeks before a septic tank and lines put in. Clogs of dirt and rocks were in the grass. I was weedeating in that area. Must have hit a rock. It flew 20' hit the rear windshield of a 1999 truck. A salesman heard it from accross the lot and came running over and yell he busted the windshield. They said a new solid windshield would run over 1300$$. But the manager said since it was a used truck he didnt care if they put a sliding glass type. 266$ installed. Anyway insurance will pay for it. I have been cutting that yard for 10 years and nothing like that has ever happen. I have never had a weedeater sling anything that hard and far enough to bust out a window. it was a 2100 echo. )(*&%% <br>

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

When we mow with our 20 ft batwing on the field, we have had reports of debris flying out and hitting planes parked over 100 ft away. Price of the average plane...between 3 to 56 million. Imagine the cost of fixing one of those windshields. <p>Don't feel bad. Just another day in this business.<p>steveair

3. pete

pete LawnSite Member

heheh Dont feel bad, one of my guys did the same thing. He was edging a side walk and he picked up a rock. Hit a all glass storm door. Shatered the whole thing. Had to send the door to New Jersey to get the tempered glass put in. Apparently they are the closest to the NOVA area who have the right equipment. Any way i know how you feel

4. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I DID THE SAME THING A FEW MONTHS BACK,TO A 2000 FORD F-I50 LARIAT.THE GUY CLOSED HIS DOOR AFTER I LEFT AND THE WHOLE BACK BLEW OUT.HE CALLED ME TO LET ME KNOW WHAT I DID,BUT HE LET HIS INS.CO.TAKE CARE OF IT. HE'S ALWAYS BEEN A GOOD CUSTOMER!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

hey mabey it was some kid that threw a rock hiding behind a car and you got blamed for it???? or mabey not. oh well sorry to here i guess that's what insurance is for.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

What do u do when a rock hits a plane? That would be a bigg ooops. Little green man I heard it hit too and they saw that i did lol or that would have been a good one to use. Thanks guys

7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Charles,<p>we have a load of insurance, so are covered for it. However, it is greatly frowned upon.<br>We have had only minor instances so far, but I know we are in for a big one sooner or later. I'm trying to push to use smaller equipment by the planes, to reduce risk, and I think we are going to move in that direction....... <p>One day, during daily inspections, someone backed up a pickup into a smaller single prop plane a few years ago. The bill was in the thousands, and he hardly dented it. With the big planes, just a scratch or a little dent in the body can cost a fortune. All aluminum, hand rolled almost. When birds hit them while landing, it can cost 10,000 just to repair one panel. Parts have to be hand made and then shipped from far away places.....<p>steveair

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats why when you hit a rock or something when mowing or trimming ALWAYS look down or keep on doing what you were doing. Don't be looking all around to see where you launched that rock. If you are near a road and waste a window they have zero proof that it came from your mower. You can just say that it came from the car in front of them. Let their insurance handle it. Thats why THEY have insurance.

9. QLC

QLC LawnSite Member

I'm not sure how everybody else's state Ins.<br>policies are but in KY if any window that is considered safety glass is busted out of a vehicle the automotive Ins. co. has to cover the cost of that window with no deductible and no insurance hike.<p>Brook

10. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have broken several windows over the last 5 yrs. Twice at the same house a week apart. No big deal. I just call adjuster tell him what I did, then call glass shop to have it fixed. Glass shop sents insurance company the bill. Rates have not gone up, nor have they threatened to cancel me.<p>Last year I broke a side window out of a 85 Buick that was sitting on blocks. Could have kept my mouth shut and the customer would not have know that I did it. But I got the window fixed instead. Why not, I broke it. Thats what I have insurance for. <p>Jim