1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 10, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

years ago, while in the printing industry, the company implimented a procedure, which they learned from another trade. it was called "SMED". the procedure, cut time by ALOT, which saved the company big money. now, the nature of thier billing, was to charge for TIME while setting up, but when they found ways to cut the time down alot, they still billed the client for the originally estimated time, and pocketed BIG MONEY, which they made off of the time. ok, example: estimated setup time for xyz job= 10 hrs. they billed these hours at $900 per hour. if they completed the setup in 4 hrs, they still billed for the 10 hrs @$900. does anyone know what "SMED" stands for, and what the procedure is?
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Just like the car dealership. The book say 7.3 hrs to install this part. A good mechanic learns to do it in 5.0 hrs. They still charge 7.3 hrs (except on warranty work of course).

SMED is single exchange of die
  3. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

It's acutally Single Minute Exchange of Die.

It's a term widely used in manufacturing which is an approach to reduce quality losses due to changeovers.

Different industries call it different things, but "efficient" is the best term of all.

4. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, except there is no book for this industry. I would probably find a way to add a SMED premium or charge by the job.
  5. marko

Correct, forgot a word. I am in the sales of food packaging equipment now. Alot of the equipment has "quick changeover" that will allow a new product to be run in 10 minutes, rather than the old way of several hours.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

THEY HAD US DO everything in advance, from putting the required nuts and bolts at the area where you would need them, along with the wrenches that would be required. every part, nut, bolt, wrench, EVERYTHING was placed where it would be needed, even down to the paperwork, and pen. they eliminated every second that used to be used for walking back to the toolbox, or going through the parts bin looking for the right size bolt, etc. these 2-3 minutes here and there, turned into hours by the end of the week, and amounted to big $$$$
  7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I could definitely see how building in an SMED would help for landscaping jobs cause there is a lot of time that is spent with preperation.

For mowing and trimming, there is a small oppotunity for this for example sometimes I have my stepson helping me and I mostly have him there as a "go-fer". "Go-fer this and go-fer that" and it does save me quite a bit of time. I send him to bring me my next tool, shortly before I am finished using the tool that I have, then I switch to the new tool and he puts my previous tool back where it belongs. He also makes sure the tool is brought to me ready to be used, fueled etc. The time I save is worth the small amount that I pay him.
  8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Edward Demmings idea translated by Japanese into Gemba Kiazen. They teach it in Supply Chain Management courses to this day even though there is less manufacturing it can still apply to services. Same sort of idea as having pruners in a scabbord on your belt or carring a 2 way screwdriver around with you. Less trips more work done.
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

When I was a chef we call the "mis en place" french for everything in its place.

What it referred to was before you start cooking you need to have all your tools, all your ingredients prepared and measured, your method thought out. Then and only then did you start cooking.

In this business it would be having all your equipment and spares on the truck. Having all equipment gassed up and test run at the shop. All blades sharpened and line wound. Having a route sheet planned out. Knowing what needs to be done on each property. Each person knowing what they do and getting started as soon as the truck stops.

Here, there is very little opportunity to prep ahead like in cooking. Not like you can have the dishwasher peel and dice potatoes the day ahead to make mashed or marinate the chicken the day ahead so all you have to do is throw it on the grill when it is ordered.
  10. marko

There is a lot we can do though. As you said, everything on the trailer, spares etc, all bills present on the last mow of the month (you would be suprised how many make a special trip for this) to drop off while you are there, tanks full (water, gas etc), and on and on and on.