Smell of grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Updog, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

I know I'm crazy but have any of you guys noticed the different odors from different types of grasses. If I was cutting a lawn with crabgrass in it blindfolded I think I would be able to tell. Once again yes I know that I am crazy but we all have stange thoughts after sitting on the mower all day your brain turns to jello.

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the smell of freshly cut grass in the summer. I've never really noticed differences, though. Probably just not looking for it.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, i can smell the difference. now answer me this, can you tell if a lawn has grubs, if u walked on it blindfolded? i can.

4. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

landsman daily smells: grass and dog **** that is the worst part of this business i hate the grass smell in the truck with the ac on

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Updog, I know what your smelling, its those Vidilia onions your mowing over.

6. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

Do you have to be bare-footed also?

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

The man with the magic feet. Impressive. If someone in your house farts and you don't see who did it, can you tell who it was just from the smell?

8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of times I can't smell grass when I am cutting it. I have bad allergies and my nose gets stopped up pretty easy, besides most of the time I smell the exahaust from the walkbehinds when I am operating them. I do smell grass quite easily when I ride by someone else going down the road that is cutting it though.

9. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, I can certainly tell the difference in grass smells. Cincy, Jamacan, hawaian all smell much better than homegrown :cool:

10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

if you walk on a lawn and you squish into tunnels left from the moles, then yes you probably have grubs. They need food, you know. LOL. and Im sure I could tell that blindfolded. I just hope I don't step in poop.