smelly lawn from swiming pool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smellylawn, Aug 31, 2004.

1. smellylawn

smellylawn LawnSite Member
    from 94523

To all the experts,

I need some help! I had recently taken down my doe boy swimming pool after it had gotten all filled with algae. I drained the water right on the lawn. Don’t worry the lawn is filled with weeds...not much to talk about in that category. Ever since I have done this, a smell is coming from my yard. It smells worse than a dairy farm in the heat of a summer. What can I do to get rid of this awful smell?????????????????

Please any suggestions will help my neighborhood and me.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a septic tank / drain field in that area of the yard??

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

the algae is decomposing. It'll go away after a few days.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Yeah, my first thought was you flooded your septic.

5. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

I believe it is not the algae, but the wet grass under & around the edge of the pool. It smells kinda like the bent & trampled grass at a state fair or similar.

Yeah, it is slightly obnoxious, but goes away in a week or two, unless it rains and keeps things wet. Same thing happend to our yard last year when I threw away the pool my wife ruined my grass with.

6. smellylawn

smellylawn LawnSite Member
    from 94523

Thanks all for responding. Yes I believe there is an old septic tank in my back yard but not sure where. That has not been hooked up in years, we are on a main now. I thought the same that the smell would go away once the grass died. Its been a few weeks now. If the septic tank did get filled...would you suggest getting it drained? Or is there something i can do to cover up the smell. Lime?

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it doesn't help you now but you should have used chemicals instead of dumping the pool....

GEO

8. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

it is the dead wet grass underneath. I know cause it use to happen to me every time i move our pool. IT STINKS BAD TOO!

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

As has been mentioned it is most likely the area under and around the pool site.
    Constant moisture makes for funky critters growing......................

It'll soon disipate.

10. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

You could lime it.