Smith 100CFM Tow Behind

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kennedy Landscaping, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Thinking of purchasing one of these units at an auction about two hours from me. Trying to avoid getting there and finding out tires are no good, etc. So I was just planning to take my 7x14 single axle on the road trip, as I know it is well prepared for something like that. Anyhow, does anyone know how wide these compressors are. Will it fit between the rails on my 7ft wide trailer? I feel like it should but rather be safe that sorry! Also, what kind of weight are the things. Don't want to worry about overloading my trailer either! I'm fine putting tires on the thing but would rather do it on my own terms and in my own town. Any help and ballpark figures would be much appreciated!

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

yes it will fit. I have the same in a 185. Towed it home from NY with a ranger.

3. cppendergrast

cppendergrast LawnSite Member

I trailered one I bought on ebay from Chicago to Nashville on a tandem axle and never felt it behind a F250. Just bind it down good. It was an older machine but once I got it home and figured the spark/coil thing out, it fired right up. It is an eight cycl Ford industrial engine with half the cycl used as the compressor. $1000 and we are finishing our 3rd season with it.

4. Kennedy Landscaping

So they must not be more than maybe 1,500?
    Nice! I have ran this exact model compressor before, actually the compressor I learned to do blowouts with. So I am really hoping the bids on this one stay low enough to make it worth the buy.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I had no idea you were into irrigation, and that there was much of it way out there in BFE Kansas, lol.

6. Kennedy Landscaping

Yep! Never post much about it here on this part of the forum. Have posted bits and pieces in my lawn thread. But I have been doing it for about three years now. Have a pretty decent customer base built up. Do everything from installs to service.

7. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

BFE?? He's down by Wichita! and im about an hour NE of him (emporia)