Smith/Harder sanders

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by snowblade, Jan 21, 2000.

1. snowblade

snowblade LawnSite Member

Lately I've seen a lot of trucks with Smith/Harder v-box sanders. They're electric powered and work ooff the trucks battery. I was talking to Dino, and he said he likes them. Anyone else use them here? Also, has anyone installed a control like the buyers one (used on the small tailgate sanders) on their sander?Lights?<p>Thanks in advance<p>Justin<p>

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I don't own an electric v-box, all of mine are gas or hydrolic power. Downeaster makes a great electric v-box. There is a nursing home near my house, they plow and sand their own lot and use an electric v-box. They love it nice a quite, to keep everyone in bed. If an electric v-box can spread sand/salt. It should do pure salt no problem, because salt is a lot lighter than sand/salt. Anyways they are built in maine, go to www.sandspreader.com. Installing an electric v-box is easy, all you have to do is run the battery cables and controll wires.<p>The have pictures of the controlls and the spreaders.<p>Geoff<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Yes I do own one and I love it. No gas engine to worry about, no $$$ central hydro to plumb in. Mine is all stainless, so no rust or paint to worry about.<br>Just flip a switch and go. Very well put together. <br>I dont use a vaiable speed controller, seems to work fine at one speed.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. snowblade

snowblade LawnSite Member

Dino, how much do they cost new, for like a 3yrd one?<br>Thanks<p>Justin

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

the unit goes for around 3750$ with tax. That will get you about a 1.7 yard unit. Now you can buy a 10&quot; extention for the top and that will give you about 3 yars capacity, but they want 400$ for that. So I added a 2x8 around the top of mine for 25$ and I have about 2.75 capacity.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org