1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

SMOG PUMP - robbing hp?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A1 Grass, Dec 8, 2002.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have an '88 Dodge Ram D100 - 1/2 ton - 318. It's in great shape and I use it to pull my (enclosed) trailer. I lose a LOT of speed on long inclines (but no pinging - it's tuned properly).

I'm looking for inexpensive ways to get some HP. Someone told me lose the smog (air) pump and plug up the holes with bolts.

Now, I'm not looking for a lecture on laws, I want to know if anyone has done this.

Any other hints for inexpensive +HP mods appreciated.

2. ScottL

ScottL LawnSite Member
    from AR

I'd doubt one would notice the difference. I'd put on a better flowing exhaust and a low restriction air filter rather than messing with the emissions system. Emissions at most costs maybe 5hp and if it is EFI, the different exhaust readings can mess with the computer.
  3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer who was a Dodge truck fanatic. He told me to put a catback exhaust and buy a chip for my 98 Ram with the 318.

If these chips make the trucks so much better then why in the world don't they put them in at the factory????
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

They dont put them on from the factory do to emmision regulations, California has the stricktest emmisions of them all. They also do this with motorcyles, snowmobiles and more. The chip and cat back exhaust will help performance and fuel consumption. The chips alter the timming and fuel regulator so it allows more smog to run through the vehicle and altering the Federal emmisions on those vehicles. They are one of the best investments (chips) you can buy. As far as your 318 do they check emmisions in your state? If not yank it out and you should gain 5plus hp also run a nice set of duals off the y pipe and be sure to keep the converters another 10-15hp, K&N filter 3hp also a flex fan will gain hp due to your clutch fan does rob hp another 2-3hp.