1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Smoked two employees in two days

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AdamCByrd, Aug 13, 2005.

1. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

It's hard to find good help.

I called the employment agency (big mistake) looking for some full-time help in my grounds maintenance company. On Thursday I went to pick up this one guy who looked like a crack adict...very skinny, Goat-T like King Tut, "THUG" tatooed on his forearm, Pirates hat on sideways. I told him to put his hat on straight and asked him if he was a "THUG." Anyway, after painfully teaching how to use a walk-behind, I let him run it for 3 hours. After a while, I didn't see him anymore and began to wonder. I started walking around and saw my mower in a ditch and him LAYING DOWN ON THE GROUND in the fetal position behind it. I figuredhe had figured some way to cut his foot off with the lawn mower and panicked, but saw him move before I got there. I asked him if he was OK...he said no. I asked what happened and he said "my legs just give out on me...I'm wore out." What a loser. He was financially worthless after that. I gave him a break, but then I saw him sitting on his butt once every 10 minutes. He "worked" for me for 5 hours, I paid him for 3. I told him to call me when he gets in shape.

Friday, I picked up another man who was 45 and said he had lawn mowing and outdoor working experience. He started off promising.....until 11:45am when I saw him staggering with a line trimmer --- with no string in it, trying to trim a fence. I told him there was no string in the trimmer, and he said "help me I can't see to put the string in." This is when I figured I had a problem. I told him to go sit his butt down in the shade and chill while I go get him some water. After I told him to go sit down, he stumbled over to a walk-behind (leaving the trimmer on the ground) and acted like he was about to start mowing with it. I said "SIT DOWN!" I thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital. He sat down and said, "They go my son! They go my son Travis!" He was pointing at my brother. He continued to talk nonsense while I treated him for heat exhaustion....then took him home.

I pray I can find some decent help one of these days....

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

And here i thought this only happened in Connecticut :laugh:

John

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Put an ad in the paper, but put "bilingual A+" and you will get better workers showing up.

4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I've had it good, most of the newcomers last between 1-5 days. :)

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

White crew leaders, and "legal" mexicans. White people working for 8-10 an hour are trash. Down here black people are not an option for labor unless you want to go out of business. Mexicans are the only option.... sorry if the truth offends you.

6. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

I Hear ya on the labor problem. Cant find anyone good up here either, ive been through 6 guys this summer so far and am about to fire another this week. No one wants to break thier back anymore and put in a good days worth of work. They start out great and then once it seems to rise about 80 degrees they start droppin like flies and start complainin like little girls. Have any of you guys done the H2B program? Ill be looking into it for next season without a doubt.

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

7. Lawnworks

from usa

Here is what I do.

8. Lawnworks

from usa

If you want to do the h2b program, it is $3500 upfront. That sucks for small companies.

9. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

What?! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

10. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know where you are in La. but in Shreveport God doesn't provide many Mexicans. The ones there are, are working construction. Theres a lot in Marshall, tx so if they have a car'a you can get them for 7-9 per hr.