smokers cost money

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Coreyb, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

i think i blew a blood vessel today. i don't smoke and hate my guys smoking on the site, but they do. the bigger problem i have is them throwing cig butts on the ground. what kind of smoking/no smoking policies do you guys have. i also don't allow smoking in the trucks. the way i figure, smokers cost me money, about $1,000 per year. can't dig a hole if you got a square in one hand, right.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, in most cases a smoker is your less-productive employee. Heck, I used to smoke, and I know I was less productive back then.

I think smoking on a customer's property is a definite no-no. If they have to smoke, do it off the property, and dispose of the butts properly.

I'm just curious, when you say it costs you $1000 per year, are you talking lost productivity, or what?

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

well i smoke 2 packs a day cost me 8 bucks and i still have a good amount of money in my savings account

4. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

yeah, just rough math. lost productivity to the tune of about $1,000 per year per smoking employee. if i am on site some will work and smoke, but i know if i am not there, there is a little more standing and smoking.

just figure a pack a day (work day) time a 5 miuntes per smoke, that's 50 minutes per day, almost an hour, times 5 days a week is 250 minutes per week (over 4 hours) times let's say just 30 weeks per year is 120 hours at $12 per hour is $1440 per worker.

if you have 5 guys that smoke that's $7200 per year in potential lost time that you are paying for. it can really add up

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah a thousand bucks is probably a conservative estimate...definitely most guys are not going to work while they smoke if the boss is not around.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I make it a habit now to check if they smoke at interview. I agree that you will lose money so I try to not hire. Employee handbook says no smoking at job site. They can smoke in the maintenance trucks but if they smoke in my truck they are out.
    I feel that the easiest way to look like a bum is to walk around cutting grass with a cig hanging from your mouth. Just my opinion though.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with all but hole in ones statement. Hole in one ya may still have plenty of money but think how much more ya'd have if ya quit payup Heck you'd be like Scrooge McDuck counting his money payup .

Seriously with all the information out there that spells out the health risks, the easier susceptibility to general sickness, the cost, not to mention the tighter regulations on where you may and may not smoke, I just don't get why anyone would want to.
    I used to chew years ago when I had less "smats" (smarts) I understand about it being hard to quit but man throwin that crap away and going cold turkey was on of the few :)waving: ) smart things I have done in life.

8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

im trying to get the cycle. iv had 2 open hart surgery's

PC230078.jpg

9. makfence

makfence LawnSite Member

I agree to all said, pros and cons. I guess if your dead against smoking. Make up a company policy in ref. Stating what you think is fair. Everyone you hire will have to make there on choice. Smoke or work :waving:

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoa Dude!!! Maybe they can just put a ziper on your chest. JK, I know its not fun I've had 3 close relatives go through that. Yes they do compare scars.