Smokers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Varsity L&G, Aug 18, 2005.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yes

21.3%
  2. No

61.7%
  3. Quit

17.0%
  1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Are you a smoker, non smoker.

Do you have a strict rule that there is no smoking near or on a customers property?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I am deffinatly not a smoker and i think it would be very unprofessional to smoke while on a customers property. Just my 2 cents.

3. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I watched a guy today, even though it was commercial property I thought it was really un pro. He was working the WB with a smoke hanging off his lip. When I have worked for others in the past there were rules regarding this. You would get fired.

Just wondered what others would say.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Both Matt and I don't smoke, but if we did, I would not find it appropriate to be flicking butts near the customers property.
    When we had our pool installed, I was not too keen on looking out the kitchen window and seeing a few guys smoking and dropping their cig on the lawn and snuffing it out with their boot that's for sure.

5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I don't smoke, hate the smell, and won't hire a smoker unless I'm really desperate. My experience has been that they are the most un-productive workers and no matter how much crap I gave them I always found a butt here and there. I know I didn't put it there and didn't find them on the properties before but it ofcourse it was't them.

6. mcwlandscaping

If you hired a smoker and you provided insurance for that person, wouldn't it be higher because of the fact that they smoke? Just wondering because by the time i need a real employee once i become legal, this would be a good thing to know.

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

we got smoke free policy. also we probably wont even give any smokers a try out ever again. they are the stupidest, laziest people i have ever seen, and we get nothing but complaints on them. no one here smokes.

8. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i dont let people smoker on properties or chew tobacco. i had no clue of this concept until i started posting here. now its a must policy

10. mcwlandscaping

When i become legal, that will be my policy too. Makes 100% sence.