Smokers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by GradeMan, Nov 28, 2007.

1. GradeMan

GradeMan LawnSite Member
    from canada

What to do with smokers in equipment? I had a guy say that it is right for me to provide him a smoke free environment? :hammerhead:Most of the operators smoke. I smoke aswell but how much could a excavator\ dozer stink when you have half the cabs windows\ doors opened? I thought this would be a good discussion, Any ideas?

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you don't smoke, you have no clue how bad it stinks! Get some windex and a white paper towel and clean something inside the cab. You will be amazed at how much tar/nicotine and whatever else burns in smokes is on everything in the cab.

Personally, since I smoked for 21 years, I would not complain but if this guy calls the labor board after talking to you about it. It could become ugly for you. Non-smokers and Re-formed smokers are like dealing with hall monitors from school but worse. They actually have power and don't understand what they can do with it until it is too late!

Department of Labor was just called in on one of the BIG mower shops here in Land O Lakes and they have played heck with them all over 1 bad apple that does not appreciate having a great job and even better benefits with a small family type working environment.

Either get rid of him and only hire smokers or give him a smoke free cab that is clean and used only by non-smoking people!!

Good Luck!

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Pull the windows out of the cab, that'll make it easier, or just get a job moving manure and sewage waste, that'll smell better.

4. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

There's no requirement to provide a smoke free environment...in short, unless there's 2 people in the cab and one is smoking, it is a smoke free environment.

With regard to residual smell, sure....but if this guy doesn't like it, tell him to go buy his own equipment and ins and so on and youll consider him as a sub. Sounds like he's unfit to perform the duties of the job to me.

And the labor board cant and wont do anything about this...theres no violation of rights in any way....you have nothing to worry about. Tell the guy to bring his own windex, show up 15 minutes early to work, and wipe down any area he sees fit.

Next he will tell you diesel stinks and you need to install a hybrid skidsteer.....there's better help out there.

And for the record, I don't smoke and never have.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

it stinks....no doubt about it....and technically if he's in the cab by himself and not smoking, it is a smoke free environment. On campus we have all vehicles and buildings as smoke free. and the smokers abide by the policy.

IMO it takes two hands to operate machinery safely take your hands off the control to flick a cherry and toss out a cig you take the chance of something bad happening. or a cherry falling in your crotch or falling on the seat burning holes in the seat.....I am reformed smoker....and I can't stand the stale smell anymore....the fresh smoke smell I'm ok with...go figure...

since you smoke you don't notice it, but put a non smoker int he cab and everyone will know its been smoked in....the odor is that intense

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It stinks like h*ll after somebody has smoked in a machine especially if the person is a regular smoker and uses the machine the most that stench never leaves. With some new laws in B.C. it is making it illegal for people to smoke at the work place period. You can't smoke in buildings or vehicals etc. I think that is a good rule because why do non smokers have to smell that crap.

The companies I have worked for the guys that smoked did it outside of the machine. It is becoming company policy if you get caught smoking in company building etc you can be fired.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

no smoking in cab equipment or in trucks...open stations they can smoke as much as they want

8. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

i have a simple soulution....DON'T SMOKE :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

i would have said the same thing if i was that employee.

9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

It's his equipment, if he wants to smoke and allow people to smoke, then he can. If this guy is crying about smoke smell, something else will be right behind it if he figures out he can get his way by throwing a big enough fit.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

With the cost of ciggarettes in B.C. who in their right mind thinks its cheap to spend 19 dollars a day on cigs. They are something like 9 dollars a pack.

My dad quit about a year ago he has seen how much money he has saved etc. Now he notices the rotten stench of ciggarette smoke the rest of the familly has endured for years.

Now with woman that smoke that is just disgusting especially the ones with yellow nic fingers:cry:

The smell of american made tobacco smells even worse than canadian made ciggarettes. You can really tell when somebody is smoking a US brand cig.

Then you get some of these english guys they say if you want to go smoke a f@g which is what they call Ciggarettes in the UK. It is really funny when they go into the store and ask the person behind the counter if they can get a pack of fags. :laugh: