Smokin' deal on a TORO...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yamahatim, Jun 16, 2011.

1. yamahatim

yamahatim LawnSite Member

...22" Recycler Personal Pace at my local Home Depot in St. Cloud MN. Apparently Toro had a recall on these mowers because they came with a drive belt that was too large. Customers returned them prior to the recall and now The Home Depot is selling them reconditioned at a nice discount. New the mower is $349, I paid $240. The mower hardly had any use on it. The electric start models were $399 selling for $275. If you need one, I would call around and check if they have any left.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I have one and wish I never bought it.

3. yamahatim

yamahatim LawnSite Member

Really? Why is that? They seem to get good ratings from Popular Mechanics and Consumer Reports.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well no, no, if it's smoking you probably don't want it.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

total pos ! personal pace isnt suited for commercial mowing-as you will find out

6. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I had two- never again. Gave them both away. continued issues with them. Plastic wheels,ect.

7. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

The golf course maintanance crews were using them the other day to mow small areas around the golf course. It was obvious the trans was shot because they were using them as a push mower and were really struggling to get the job done. Looked like a ton of effort, especially in the heat.

My advice to the OP, learn how to modify/fix the plastic parts in that trans so that you can continue using it with the PP. There's threads on this site addressing that issue. The trans in those units are pure junk. Nothing but plastic on plastic. They will fail on you in a short time. Its just a matter of when.

8. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Wow my Experience is completely different. In my opinion the toro blows the honda out of the water in every aspect and it definitely cut better than the snapper commercial unit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. madisonpressurewashing

madisonpressurewashing LawnSite Senior Member

10. gibbonsballer10

gibbonsballer10 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 5 year old toro personal pace that has been used commercially all of its life. When I started thats all I used to cut my lawns. Easily has over 500 hours on it, NEVER 1 PROBLEM. Rather pay $350 for one of those than $1200 for a commercial one, I'd rather but 4 personal paces rather than 1 commercial.