Smoking 27 kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by KatKutter, Jul 14, 2008.

1. KatKutter

KatKutter LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with a 27 kohler smoking at start up. This engine has done this from time to time since new. About a year old now and seems it wants to smoke pretty bad actually for just a few seconds at start up. Its oil smoke and uses a little between changes. I guess I need to call kohler on this, but I am so busy right now I dont need down time for some mechanic to tinker around and guess at whats causing it. Almost has to be a valve problem to have oil leak down like that. Just wanted to get some feed back about it and see if this problem has occured in any other of the kohler 27,s. If so , I guess its go to bat time with kohler.

2. grassleg

grassleg LawnSite Member

do you choke EVERYtime on startup?

3. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

Mine done that local dealer replaced the lifters and fixed the problem. They said one lifter was leaking down.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

5. KatKutter

Thanks guys, I was in contact with kohler today. Tech said try shutting key off at half throttle. Something about oil still left in top of cylinders at shut down, when I idle all the way down. I think he was blowing more smoke than the engine (lol). Gonna do a compression check, and leak down test.And I will try why he advised and see how it goes. There aware of the problem, and told me they would take care off it, what ever the cause. I just hate one smoking on me at any time.

6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same problem with 27/50. They replaced the lifters and pushrods. 20 hrs later they replaced the pistons. 15 hours or so they wanted to do a leak down test, then tore the engine down and couldn't find the cause. So, dealer install a new engine and 10 hrs later same thing was happening again. I got Exmark to buy back the mower and replaced it with a 23/50 Kawi. The Kohler rep tried to tell me that I needed to this and that on start up and shut down so the engine wouldn't smoke. My responce was that the Kawi engines don't have those problems and neither should his product. That was the first and last Kohler powered product that I will ever own.

7. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

What is the model number of the engine?

8. KatKutter

Well I tried what kohler said do. Guess what, it worked (lol). Not a single puff of smoke at any start up today. After pulling on trailor instead of idleing down, I would go to half throttle then hit the key. No dieseling, and no smoke at start up. They explained to me that the selinoid in the carb was a new design. And that main jet in carb shut down at half throttle, basically when i was idling down the engine oil pump was still pumping oil in excess, to the amount of fuel being supplied. Then I was getting smoke at start up. All sounds like a kohler screw up to me. But atleast this worked, and Im not dealing with a cloud of smoke. Time well tell, however I dont think I should have to be doing this to prevent my problem. I think its a problem with the cv engines and kohler needs to correct this.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I tried that only once and it backfired and sounded like a high powered rifle going off. Im glad that solved the problem for you.