Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by rfed32, Aug 16, 2006.

1. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

how many of you smoke or chew or let employees smoke or chew while working or driving around in company trucks??
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I will only smoke if the customer isnt outside. usually Ill grab 1 when Im getting ready to mow or blow off. If the customer comes out, Ill throw it down so my mower runs over it.
  3. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

The two days a week my big bro (22) is working with me, he usually smokes( cigaretes ) after every lawn while driving to the next property.
  4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Still chewing Copenhagen.

I have tried to quit soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times.

I even started a thread about quiting.

It's a bad habit and for those that don't use tobacco - keep it that way because it will stick its hooks into your flesh and hold you hostage then eventually kill you.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have to laugh at these people who wont let a guy smoke on a customers property or in the truck then complain about crappy employees. Is it really that hard to figure out that the problem may be the boss who thinks he is something he isnt?
  6. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have chewed for 28 yrs. Started with hawkins, then skoal, copenhagen, tried the plugs never got the hang of that, and have now settled on Timberwolf wintergreen. I quit for 3 months 8 yrs ago and wife and I were going back home for the weekend and I begged her to just let me chew over the weekend. Well guess what she is still reminding me 8 yrs later the weekend is over.
  7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i smoke. when on a customer's prop, i roll the cherry off of the end and put the butt in my pocket. i used to smoke a solid two packs a day, now only have a few each day. i also dip, usually kodiak or grizzly wintergreen. on an initial estimate i never have one in while speaking with the customer, but after that, i don't worry about it.
  8. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Chewing as much as possible. Terrible habit, but terribly difficult to quit!
  9. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't smoke or chew and I will never hire another person that smokes or chews. I need people that want to work...not people that think that they deserve a smoke break every hour. I told my smoker employees they can smoke on their time and not mine. They ended up sneaking around trying to find places to smoke.
  10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

if you can't smoke and work at the same time, you're not a smoker. smoke breaks are for union employees. you can weedeat all day long with one hanging out of your mouth, don't even have to touch it until it's time to roll the end off and pocket the butt.