1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

smoking kawasaki

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lukemus53, Sep 7, 2002.

1. lukemus53

lukemus53 LawnSite Member
    from 28071

what's going on with my 23 hp kawasaki with 220 hours on it?if i leave it setting long enough for the engine to cool off,then start it it really blows out the white smoke.the smoke clears up after running for a few minutes.i change oil and filter at 40 hours and it always is on the full mark.
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

white smoke on a liquid cooled engine is not good. is it a model fd671d? anyway if your sure it's white smoke then you may have a bad head gasket/s warped head/s or worse - cracked head/s.
    remove the plugs and see if one looks like it's much cleaner than the other (steamed clean) ckeck for milky looking oil on the dipstick. has your coolant been going down?
  3. lukemus53

lukemus53 LawnSite Member
    from 28071

it's air cooled and the oil is nice and clear.thanks
  4. kjo43

kjo43 LawnSite Member

I bought a used machine with a 19 horse kawi on it, it does the same thing... I have only started it 2x and ran it for about 10 minutes since I got it about a month ago.

The oil level looks to be a bit high, this might be causing it... I'm gonna change all the fluids/filters/plugs this weekend maybe and then see how it acts.

other than than the smoke at startup it seems fine...