1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Smoking on the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazman, May 12, 2003.

1. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

What are your rules about smoking on the job or trucks or customer properties? I am curious. I do not smoke, but have employees that do. I tell them not in the truck, but know they probably are when I am not around. What about customer sites or during breaks?? Thanks
  2. WildMowMan

WildMowMan LawnSite Member

My policies are pretty simple, if you are smoking of the job then you're only working part-time with one hand.....not to mention 9 times outta 10 these guys are flicking their butts onto the homeowners lawns..........thats great advertisement huh?.......the customers don't want to see you're laborers' Humphrey Bogart impersonations with the butt hanging off the lip, it just looks bad and unprofessional...not to mention that you're guys are working around gasoline...so smoking when they go to fill up the equipment is just hazardous and dumb.........I smoke occasionally but during breakfast, breaks, lunch, or between jobsites in the trucks with the windows open..(I can't stand when they hotbox the truck with the windows closed)....and that depends on which truck we're in! I have nothing against smoking but it's a luxury and a habit best saved for after the job or away from the equipment and site.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't have employees so I can't really comment on them...but when I am working and I see it, or if a workman comes to my house smoking, I personally don't like it.

I believe if I did have employees that smoked, the rules would be not in my truck and not on customers property.

I had a new dishwasher put in the otherday. the guy went outside twice to smoke before he was done. no really big deal, I just don't care for it.

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It doesn't really bother me, except for 1) safety around gas cans (as mentioned before) and 2) butts HAVE to be disposed of properly, meaning not left on a customer's property, or all over the shop area (just last week I had to remind one guy to not throw butts on the ground at the shop). Many times, an empty coffee cup works fine to hold butts until you get back to the shop to throw it away.

If an employee works well, I have no problem with him taking a smoke break, as long as it doesn't get excessive. Being a small operation, I can control this, but I would imagine that a larger company would have to have some sort of official policy.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

No smoking at the customer's property! This is not the type of imagine that I want for my company. This is also dangerous around gas and a disposal issue as well.

6. elliboom

elliboom LawnSite Member

My policy is no smoking on the job period, that includes breaks. It stinks and looks very unprofessional.
  7. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Fortunately my guys do not smoke, but i have had smokers in the past.

My policy is simple. No smoking in the truck, and no smoking on the customers property. Its ugly and unprofessional. I dont mind them smoking at the shop. ( i even provide an ashtray) But dont flick the butts on the floor.
  8. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

I agree with the responses, just seems hard to enforce when I am not around all the time.
    Also, what do guys do about garbage in the truck cab or in the back of the pickup?? I tell these guys over and over again and feel I am falling on deaf ears. I even supply shirts and one guy cut the sleeves off. I chewed is a** off about that. Still deaf ears. I try to portray a professionial image and I can't get it in to their heads. Any ideas. Very frustrating.
  9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I smoke once in awhile, but never in front of customers, in their yard or even on their street. I'm a bit ashamed of my habit...I dont' like smelling like it or the mess it makes. My helpers sometimes smoke on the site (not around the gas) but I try telling them to get the cigs out by the time we get to the account
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Never have,... never will. No smoking in the truck, OR on the customers lawns. The reason being, is where are the butts gonna go when you fiish? I had a friend that would stick the butt in his pocket when he was done, but then he would stink up the whole truck when he got in... Just the smell on someone's hands is enough to make me gag.:nono: