Smoking Policy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SodKing, Dec 13, 2004.

1. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Our smoking policy is to the effect:

*No Smoking in the warehouse nor on the warehouse grounds
    *No smoking in company vehicles
    *No smoking on client properties

Smoking is allowed during the approved breaks as long as it is not on, or in front of, a client property.

Basically, when we hire someone who smokes I tell them that now would be a good time to try to quit.

What is your policy on smoking?
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I do not smoke if A client is outside or talking to me. I smoke and let my guys smoke in the trucks and on properties as long as they dont throw the butt on the property. Just my personal opinion but I just never looked at it as that big of a deal....after all we dig in the dirt for a living. :D
  3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

What if they chew tabacco can they spit on the property or in a can? To me it just seems unprofessional.
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i think it looks totally unprofessional. same goes for not wearing a shirt...unprofessional.
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I am an occasional smoker (a pack lasts me 2-3 weeks) and I never, ever, smoke on or around a customer's house. I think it's very unproffesional. I also agree with the not wearing a shirt comment. I always try to wear somewhat neat clothes.
  6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i am solo so i have no real policy. But i used to smoke. smoked for 18 years. I hate to see someone killing themselves.
  7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will see your trucks parked one house down from the property they are supposed be at. :)
    lets get realistic hear smoking and no shirts are not the resin you lose accounts. So tattoos and piercing must be covered up to.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt very much I would lose an account over smoking. However, I want my company to project a positive professional image, and smoking, in my opinion, does not project that image. Plus, I hate when I move trucks around the compound, the stench of cigarette smoke. I bought these trucks and they came with that new truck scent, I don't want that fouled be someones nasty personal, time wasting, habit.

That being said, my grandfather died of emphysema. you only have to see that once and you will do everything you know to stop people from smoking.
  9. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

No smoking ever. Its easy to enforce b/c it is just me and i will never smoke!
  10. Tobruk79

Tobruk79 LawnSite Member
    from Fl

Im a heavy smoker but I will do what I can to hide the fact from a customer, or anyone that will associate me with my business. X% of people think smokers are idiots. To help get the job I will present most honest, wholesome, nice young man image. I wont smoke on or near a customers property, or ash / butt out the window.