Smooth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SunSwept, Jun 29, 2003.

1. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

A couple of weeks ago I was putting in a flower bed for a customer when their next door neighbor walks out with his 21 inch push mower and attempts to mow his 8-inch grass down to 3 inches AND bag it at the same time. Needless to say, he stalled it several times and then filled his grass catcher within the first 20 feet.

I felt really sorry for the guy but had a full schedule for the day so I walked up behind him and, after a little small talk, asked him if he had ever operated a rider (John Deere, 48-inch cut). When he said "No" I said "Today would be a good day to learn. Help me get it off of the trailer."

I showed him how to operate everything and then told him that the only way to really learn was to get going and I went back to the flower beds.

About 30 minutes later, after doing a reasonable job on the lawn, he came up to me and told me that "as of today, you have another lawn to do".

I was there again today. His wife outlined a routine for me that could make one of my best customers!! He told me that that was the "smoothest sales pitch that anyone has ever pulled on me ... I was impressed". He also says "it's your lawn now but I sure would love to run that rider again".

2. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Thats great it worked out to your benifit, BUT it could have caused you a pile of $$$ due to he never operated a peice of equip like that any now a days there is always that liability thing.
    I have not and will not lend anything out ,I sometimes don't pay to be a nice guy but in your case it did.Glad for you that you got another account.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Smooth move is right, you couldn't of done better if you'd planned it that way to begin with, you definitely get a gold star (and a new client) for the day.
    Likewise though, don't know if I'd been willing to take that chance, but you were there, and you gotta go with the mood when it strikes.
    Congratulations Mr. Good Guy

4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent move. And I'll bet that he will never question. Since you were willing to trust him with your machine, he will more than likely give his full trust in your ability and advice. WAY TO GO

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I like it. I wouldn't let anyone on my Walker because the learning curve is a little steep but I can teach anyone to use a T-bar in 10 minutes. I'm gonna keep that in mind.

That worked out well for you. You could have just sat there and laughed at the guy like a lot of us might do but you turned it into a great deal. Congrats.